From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS} Anglican Consultative Council's delegation to the UNCSW

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:05:27 -0800

ACNS 3955 | ACO | 9 MARCH 2005

A photograph for this news item is available here:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/39/50/acns3955.cfm

Anglican Consultative Council's delegation to the 49th Session of the
UNCSW (2005)

Closing Statement

The unity of the Anglican Communion was positively demonstrated when 41
women from 27 provinces gathered as the Anglican Consultative Council
(ACC) delegation to the 49th session of the United Nations Commission on
the Status of Women (UNCSW) meeting in New York 28 February- 11 March,
2005. With others we examined the theme from the 1995 Beijing Platform
for Action (BPfA) to review the implementation of the BPfA and the
outcome documents of the special session of the General Assembly
entitled 'Women 2000: Gender equality, development and peace for the
21st century'.

As we came together to listen to each other in honesty and trust, we
developed a greater understanding of the body of Christ, recognizing the
hurt and pain, hopes and joys of women and children across the
Communion, and with one voice we endorsed the reaffirmation of the BPfA.

During our two weeks of meetings we reflected on the 12 planks of the
BPfA based on a questionnaire circulated in advance. In small group
discussions and regional caucuses, delegates were able to identify the
most pressing women's concerns. The delegation highlighted four areas of
major importance which impede world-wide development: poverty, poor
education, violence and lack of access to good, affordable healthcare.
These areas were the basis for consultations, which enabled delegates to
discern God's call for their personal commitment and action as part of
the Church's participation in God's mission for the world.

While acknowledging the strides many governments have taken to implement
the BPfA, this delegation calls strongly for continued action with
increased resources both human and financial, to ensure concrete results
through programs of education and legislation.

We call on the ACC to affirm the advancements our governments have made
regarding the status of women and encourage them to continue in this
work. We strongly recommend the ACC continues to affirm the
International Anglican Women's Network (IAWN) and again call on the ACC
to adopt the goal of 30% representation of women in decision making
bodies at all levels in our Anglican Communion. We call on the ACC to
aim for 50% representation by the year 2010, to reflect more justly the
current makeup of our Anglican global communion.

This year, 27 provinces responded to the challenge to be represented at
the UNCSW. We are grateful to everyone who has made it possible to
finance and give their time to this venture. We ask the ACC to encourage
those unrepresented this year to demonstrate their solidarity with the
women of the Anglican Communion by sending delegates to the next, 50th
session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women.

We look forward to a time when the Anglican Communion, as part of the
body of Christ, brings women's and men's voices into balance and so
reflect the true and inclusive nature of God.