From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UCC NEWS] Thomas nominated for additional term as GMP

From guessb@ucc.org
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:31:32 -0500

United Church of Christ
United Church News
J. Bennett Guess, News Director
216-736-2177
guessb@ucc.org

March 14, 2005
For immediate release

Thomas nominated for additional four-year term as United Church of Christ's
general minister and president

A search committee's recommendation that the Rev. John H. Thomas
be
elected to serve a third and final term as the United Church of Christ's
general minister and president was affirmed by the UCC's Executive Council
on March 12, during its regular meeting in Cleveland.
The "call by election" process now goes to General Synod, July 1-5,
in Atlanta, where delegates will have an opportunity to affirm or reject
the Executive Council's recommendation. The UCC's constitution and bylaws
do not allow names to be submitted from the Synod floor, so Thomas will be
the sole candidate up for consideration for the 1.3-million-member
denomination's highest office.
"We are confident that John has the commitment and perspectives,
the
skills and abilities, the personal qualities and characteristics, and the
background and experience to continue to excel as general minister and
president," said Sandy Casmey, search committee chair.
Before the executive-session vote, Thomas said, "I continue to have
the stamina for this work. ? I continue to be willing to bear the costs
that this responsibility exacts."
Thomas, 54, said his hopes for the UCC include "focusing on the
things we can do, rather than wringing our hands about the things we can't
do. We often forget what we have done and can do together."
Thomas said he is especially proud of the positive impact of the
UCC's Stillspeaking Initiative on the whole denomination, and how its
message of "extravagant welcome" is being received so positively by those
outside the UCC, as evidenced by the many heart-warming messages his office
has received.
"Without us, that grace would not have been experienced," he said.
Reflecting on the past five-and-a-half years, Thomas said his saddest
day in office was an occasion where he witnessed "blatant racism" within
the UCC.
"The day I can no longer be profoundly disappointed by that, it will
be time to move on," he said.
Thomas said he draws strength and purpose from the "very first
question" of the historic Evangelical Catechism.
"What shall be our chief concern?" Thomas quoted it as asking. "To
seek the realm of God and God's righteousness."

###