From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] House of Bishops calls on U.S. Senate to protect Arctic

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@mail.epicom.org>
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:23:04 -0500

Monday, March 14, 2005

House of Bishops calls on U.S. Senate to protect Arctic National
Wildlife
Refuge

Alaska's Bishop Mark McDonald to address press, lawmakers in Washington
March 15

ENS 031405-2

[ENS, Navasota, Texas] - Urging full protection of the Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge, the House of Bishops of the Episcopal Church on March
14
adopted a resolution calling upon the U.S. Senate to oppose opening the
pristine region to exploration for oil and gas.

Alaska Bishop Mark McDonald, a leading voice for environmental
protection
and ecological justice, left the bishops' spring retreat, in session
through
March 16, to present the resolution (see full text below) to the press
and
to lawmakers in Washington, D.C.

John Johnson of the Episcopal Church's Washington-based Office of
Government
Relations said MacDonald is expected to deliver that message to senators
and
reporters at an 11 a.m. news conference on March 15.

Senator Maria Cantwell of Washington and Senator John Kerry of
Massachusetts
are scheduled to speak in support of protecting the Arctic Refuge. Kerry
is
expected to introduce MacDonald. Also slated to speak at the event is
Savannah Rose Walters, a 13-year-old-girl from Florida who is fighting
save the Arctic Refuge, Johnson said.

(Note to media: advisory from Senator Cantwell's office is reprinted at
the
end of this release.)

A Message from the House of Bishops of the Episcopal Church, USA, to the
United States Senate

March 14, 2005

Resolved, the House of Bishops of the Episcopal Church, USA, meeting at
its
Spring 2005 retreat at Camp Allen in Navasota, Texas, March 11-16, 2005,
sends to the United States Senate the following message:

As the Bishops of the Episcopal Church, USA, we want to express our
commitment to the vision of reconciliation of all peoples and share a
common
scriptural and theological belief that we have a responsibility to care
for
God's creation. We support protecting the Arctic National Wildlife
Refuge
fully. To risk the destruction of an untouched wilderness and an ancient
culture violates our theological mandate to be caretakers of creation.
Because of these deeply shared values we respectfully ask you to oppose
legislation that would facilitate the opening of this sacred space to
oil or
gas exploration and development in any way. We specifically call on you
our
Senators to reject efforts to include revenues from lease sales of the
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in the Budget Act currently being
considered
by Congress.

While the ecological and human rights values of the Arctic National
Wildlife
Refuge are recognized by many, the cost from exploitation of the
potential
resources that may exist there does not justify exploration or
development.
The best estimates tell us that oil from the Refuge as a single source
is
equal to what the United States would consume in less that one year.
Conservation, energy efficiency, and alternative sources of energy can
do
much more to address our country's energy needs.

The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is one of the few ecosystems left on
earth in its original condition. It is a national treasure and such
natural
places are anchors in a changing world. They help hold us in place and
tell
us where we have been; they often can be sources of inspiration and
comfort.
As Job counsels, "listen to the earth, and it will teach you" (Job
12:8).

The Arctic Refuge is well-known for its Porcupine caribou herd, whose
life
cycle is dependent on the Refuge as an intact, virtually undisturbed
ecosystem. The caribou are a chief link in the subsistence culture for
the
indigenous Gwich'in people. The Gwich'in call themselves the "Caribou
People" and the Arctic Refuge is for them "the Sacred Place where Life
Begins." The caribou are essential for Gwich'in cultural, social, and
spiritual needs and it has been that way for over 10,000 years.
Disturbances
that lead to reduced calving success for the caribou may cause
significant,
irreversible, negative consequences for all involved in this unspoiled
web
of life.

Pristine places like the Arctic Refuge provide numerous benefits. For
humankind, the Arctic is a control environment that helps scientists
answer
current and future questions in the changing environment. For animal
kind,
the Arctic is an important habitat and home for many species, including
the
Arctic peregrine falcon, gyrfalcon, golden eagle, snowshoe hare,
ptarmigan,
polar bear, grizzly bear, musk ox, threatened spectacled eider, wolves,
smaller mammals and water fowl. "The psalmist proclaims, 'O Lord, how
manifold are thy works! In wisdom hast thou made them all; the earth is
full
of your creatures" (Psalm 104).

We recognize that our use of fossil fuels and the resulting global
warming
has its greatest impact on the poor and vulnerable. Controversy over
whether to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil development
requires us to ask ourselves: what kind of world will we leave to future
generations? As Bishops of the Episcopal Church, we are committed to
working for a world with justice for indigenous peoples and all creation
and
we support indigenous peoples' rights as a basic component of a just
society. For these reasons and others, we ask you to oppose opening the
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil and gas exploration and
development.

-ends-

U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell
Washington

Media Advisory

March 14, 2005
Contact: Charla Neuman
202.224.8277

Press Conference: Tuesday 11:00 a.m. Russell 325

Sens. Cantwell, Kerry to offer budget amendment, block drilling in
Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senators Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) and John Kerry
(D-Mass.) will lead the charge against drilling in the Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge when the Senate debates the budget this week. Cantwell,
Kerry, other senators, youth, religious leaders, and other supporters
will
kick off the fight at a press conference on Tuesday at 11:00 a.m. in the
Russell Caucus Room (Russell 325). On Wednesday, Cantwell plans to offer
the
amendment to strike the current language in the budget that allows for
drilling in the Arctic.

Who:

Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA)
Senator John Kerry (D-MA)
Savannah Rose Walters, 13-year-old girl from Florida who is fighting to
save
the Arctic Refuge
Bishop Mark McDonald from Alaska
And other senators and supporters