From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Souper Bowl results? Super!

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:26:57 -0600

Note #8674 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05140
March 10, 2005

Souper Bowl results? Super!

2,000 PC(USA) congregations collect a record $679,000

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE - Souper Bowl of Caring officials say Presbyterian churches
collected nearly three-quarters of a million dollars in last month's annual
anti-hunger campaign.

As of March 10,organizers say, 2,035 Presbyterian churches had raised about
$679,149 - and collections haven't been fully reported.

Overall, more than 10,534 organizations and congregations from a variety of
U.S. religious denominations have reported collecting more than $3.7 million,
according to Souper Bowl officials said.

Donations from Presbyterians made up 18 percent of the total. The
Presbyterian Church (USA) had the second-highest number of churches
participating, behind the United Methodist Church.

The Souper Bowl program was inspired by a prayer the Rev. Brad Smith offered
at his Spring Valley Presbyterian Church on Super Bowl Sunday in 1988.
Participating groups phone in totals, then send donations to charities of
their choice.

"We commend the over 2,000 Presbyterian churches who participated this year
and for the leadership they've taken since this began in a Presbyterian
church 15 years ago," said Smith, the program's executive director.

Volunteers stood outside churches on Feb. 6 to collect money and canned goods
for the program, which takes advantage of the National Football League
championship game to raise money for the poor and ill-nourished.

The program has raised more than $27 million for food banks, soup kitchens
and other charities since its inception in 1990.

Last year 12,750 congregations and schools raised a record $4.25 million.
Organizers hoped to raise the numbers this year to 14,000 participating
groups and $5 million.

About 10 percent of the money raised this year, about $370,000, went to aid
tsunami and earthquake victims in southern Asia.

"We applaud everyone who used Souper Bowl Sunday to step outside of
themselves and help their neighbors in need," Smith said. "Once all of the
reports are in, we expect to be over $4 million, which after the tsunami
relief efforts, is quite an accomplishment for these young people."

Presbyterians from 2,275 congregations in all 50 states collected a record
$749,765 for Souper Bowl 2004, up slightly from $703,767 the previous year.

This year's top contributing PC(USA) congregations were: Second Presbyterian
Church in Indianapolis, IN, $16,750; Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church in
Houston, TX, $8,152; and Sunrise Presbyterian Church in Salinas, KS, $7,443.

Last year's top PC(USA) contributors were Memorial Drive in Houston, $36,661;
Bel Air Presbyterian Church in Los Angeles, CA, $25,000; and Sunrise in
Salina, KS, $8,758.

The Presbyterian Church (USA)'s Hunger Program contributed $9,000 to help pay
administrative expenses.

"While over 10,500 organizations have reported, we know there are thousands
out there that have yet to report," Smith said. "We encourage all groups to
report their collection totals as soon as possible at www.souperbowl.org or
by calling
800-358-SOUP (7687)."