From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop Expresses Gratitude For Rural Ministry

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:54:01 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 17, 2005

ELCA Presiding Bishop Expresses Gratitude For Rural Ministry
05-046-JB

DUBUQUE, Iowa (ELCA) -- Saying he wanted to express "a
profound word of gratitude for your ministries," the presiding
bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
addressed nearly 250 people here March 13 at the opening session
of the 24th annual Rural Ministry Conference.
The Rev. Mark S. Hanson was a keynote speaker at the three-
day event, organized by the Center for Theology and Land, a rural
ministry program of the University of Dubuque and Wartburg
Theological Seminary, one of eight ELCA seminaries. Several
people attending a conference for potential seminary students
were also in the audience.
Rural small-town ministry is still the "backbone" of the
Lutheran church in the United States, and too often it is taken
for granted, Hanson said. He said he has little personal
experience in rural ministry, but that he and others are "the
beneficiaries" of those who grew up in rural areas, including
parents and spouses.
Hanson paid tribute to his father-in-law, the late Rev. Elmo
Agrimson, saying "his perspective on grace from the context of
being raised in rural America had a great effect on me."
To keep rural ministry vibrant, the ELCA must embrace its
name and become an "evangelizing" church, he said.
"If we ... claim our Lutheranism and work together to be an
evangelizing church, the future is marvelous," he told the
audience.
Hanson told a story about a farmer who once asked him about
the possible closing of the congregation the farmer attended
because it was slowly losing members, many of whom had moved
away. Hanson said he replied by asking the farmer to consider
the area in which he lived as "a mission field" in which the
congregation had an important role to play.
For current and future pastors in the audience, Hanson said
their challenge is to put the gospel "into a context where it is
heard" and understood. Christian education is also important in
today's world, he said.
"If we are going to be an evangelizing church in a 'Lutheran
key,' we've got to be a witnessing church in our context," Hanson
said. "I'm afraid we're becoming biblically illiterate. We
don't know the stories. If we don't know the history, how will
we know what God is up to today?"
Whether a person lives in a rural or urban area, Hanson
suggested that in Sunday school classes each week, the leader
should ask every person to describe what he or she witnessed in
God's work in the past week. "We don't take time to discern what
God is up to," he said.
Hanson said, in his travels he has met many taxi drivers --
some Christian, some not -- who are almost always willing to talk
to him about their faith. Yet many Lutherans seem hesitant to
"claim their baptismal identity." He urged the audience to work
toward being part of an "inviting church," actively bringing
friends and acquaintances to church.
"If we leaders are not modeling that behavior, how do we
expect others in the congregation to do it?" he asked. "I think
people are hungry to hear the gospel." He cited the success of
books such as "The Purpose-Driven Life" and the "Purpose-Driven
Church," both by Rick Warren.
"This is a clue," he told his audience. "This is fertile
ground, folks."
Hanson said research has shown that American citizens want
to hear three phrases every day: "I love you," "I forgive you,"
and "dinner's ready."
"This is the gospel," the presiding bishop said.
Hanson noted that in a lively church, there will be
tensions. He said congregations should not ask how they can be
tension-free; they should consider what tensions are worth
creating for the sake of the gospel.
"To be the body of Christ is to be messy and to be in
chaos," he said, noting that Jesus created tension everywhere he
went, usually by challenging accepted norms.
In a panel discussion preceding his keynote remarks, Hanson
identified several assets of rural communities and congregations:
the experience of the people, relationships enhanced by community
asset-mapping and organizing; preserving and transmitting faith
and culture; and holding continuity and change "in tension."
He urged rural communities to create space for newcomers,
many of whom may speak Spanish or another language as their
primary language. Hanson also said the church must confront "the
sin of racism" and work to protect diversity in its fullest
expression.
"If we don't believe God calls us to protect the gift of
diversity ... we're going to fail," he said.
---
Information about the Center for Theology and Land is at
http://www.ruralministry.com/ on the Web.

Information about rural ministry in the ELCA is at
http://www.elca.org/rural on the Web.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news