From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 05162-Church takes ministry into streets by patrolling

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:06:24 -0600

Church takes ministry into streets by patrolling against crime

Mar. 18, 2005 News media contact: Fran Walsh * (615) 742-5458*
Nashville {05162}

NOTE: A UMTV report and photos are available at http://umns.umc.org.

By Nancy Johnson*

TRILBY, Fla. (UMNS)-The stillness of Trilby's hilly countryside masks a
growing problem for the small town.

"There's narcotics crimes, drugs, robberies," said longtime resident
Keith Moody.

The Pasco County Sheriff's Department responds to as many calls for
service as it can. But now, a small group of neighbors is providing
backup. In January, Herb Green, the choir director at Trilby United
Methodist Church, formed Trilby's first security patrol.

"Some drug traffic is moving in from adjoining neighborhoods. The main
reason we started this is we wanted to keep drugs out of Trilby," Green
said.

The patrol unit has 17 volunteer officers. They took a four-hour course
at the sheriff's office and passed criminal background checks. They wear
badges and ride in makeshift police cruisers. Their newest car is a
donation from Marny Walker, a longtime member of Trilby United Methodist
Church. After a trip to the body shop, her 1984 Pontiac Bonneville will
ride the streets of Trilby, fighting crime.

"We want to make sure people feel safe in their community and they can
walk down the street and not be harmed," said Rev. Juan Marcos Garay,
the church pastor. "People worry about their chickens, their cows, their
pigs."

The security patrol acts as the eyes and ears of the sheriff's
department. Officers respond to a variety of citizen complaints about
problems such as prostitution rings, drunk drivers and burglaries.

"We had a 90-year-old woman call and wanted us to stop by. She had
somebody looking in her windows," Green said.

Neighbors worry also about a suspected crack house. When a green light
shines in the window, it's open for business.

"That's one of the reasons I'm glad to see a crime watch because it's a
big deterrent to keep drugs out of this area," said Scott Nichols, a
Trilby resident. "With these guys around, it would be more or less
impossible for anybody to set up operation out here. So that's
terrific."

The patrol plans to add more officers and patrol cars. Green said he
plans to require that all officers attend the Citizens Police Academy.
He considers it his divine duty to help keep his community safe.

"You ought to do something to put something back into society without
being reimbursed for it."

# # #

*Johnson is a freelance writer and producer in Tampa, Fla.

News media contact: Fran Coode Walsh, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5458
or newsdesk@umcom.org.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org