From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 168-Restraining order reinstates college's accreditation

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:08:00 -0600

Restraining order reinstates college's accreditation

Mar. 22, 2005

By Linda Green*

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS)-The accreditation of a United Methodist college
has been restored as a result of the college being awarded a temporary
restraining order against its accrediting body.

Hiwassee College in Madisonville, Tenn., was first awarded a restraining
order on March 17 against the Southern Association of Colleges and
Schools for its recent decision to remove the college from membership
and revoke Hiwassee's accreditation. The order came from Judge Thomas
Varlan of the U.S. District Court in Knoxville and was then extended at
a March 21 court hearing.

The restraining order temporarily restores Hiwassee's membership and
accreditation with SACS until further rulings are made on a motion by
SACS to change the venue to the Atlanta Federal Court, based on a "forum
selection clause" in the association's bylaws, according to Hiwassee
college officials. The date of the ruling on the change of venue issue
has not yet been determined.

"This is good news," said the Rev. James Noseworthy, Hiwassee college
president. "Until the hearing, the TRO restores Hiwassee College to
status as a member of SACS, restoring our accreditation and our
students' eligibility for financial aid."

Hiwassee College initiated the legal process March 10 by filing a
request with the Knoxville Division of the U.S. District Court for the
Eastern District of Tennessee seeking preliminary and permanent
injunctive relief against SACS after the association denied Hiwassee's
appeal in February. The Commission on Colleges of the Southern
Association of Colleges and Schools is the accrediting body for
institutions of higher education that award associate, baccalaureate,
master's or doctoral degrees in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky,
Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas
and Virginia. The association had stripped Hiwassee of its
accreditation in December, but that action had been suspended pending
the outcome of the appeals process. The regional accrediting body
rejected the two-year college's appeal to keep its accreditation in
February.

According to SACS, their decision was based on their perception that the
college does not have adequate financial resources to sustain its
mission. The college disagrees and contends that its financial resources
are sound and capable of sustaining its mission. The college is
challenging the basis of SAC's decision.

In a memo on its Web site at www.sacs.org, the accrediting body said:
"On Friday, March 18, 2005, the Federal Court in Knoxville issued a
Temporary Restraining Order whereby the Commission on Colleges was
ordered to reinstate the accreditation status of Hiwassee College in
Madisonville, Tennessee. Effective March 18, 2005, Hiwassee College
remains an accredited institution on Probation pending the results of
litigation."

"We are satisfied with this step," Noseworthy said. "Ultimately, the
college is seeking permanent injunctive relief against SACS. I believe
we will be successful." The college can now move forward in its efforts
to reverse SACS' decision, he said.

In addition, Noseworthy said restored accreditation ensures the
transferability of academic credits. The institution is currently
working with major colleges and universities to ensure that student
credits will transfer "no matter what," Noseworthy said in a March 18
college press release. Several public and private colleges and
universities have pledged to accept Hiwassee College coursework without
question, and the list is continuing to grow, he stated.

"Hiwassee College has always had a strong academic program that is
well-respected in the world of higher education," said Noseworthy. "The
support we have received from these fine institutions demonstrates a
vote of confidence in our ability to serve and sustain our mission of
providing a quality, values-centered education to students."

*Green is a United Methodist News Service news writer based in
Nashville, Tenn.
News media contact: Linda Green, (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at: