From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Middle East: A message from the Presiding Bishop

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:01:26 -0500

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Middle East: A message from the Presiding Bishop

ENS 032205-2

[ENS] In this season, which for Christians speaks of resurrection and
new
life, our hearts are lifted by new hopes, however fragile, for peace
between
Israelis and Palestinians. Important and encouraging steps are being
taken
by both President Mahmoud Abbas and Prime Minister Ariel Sharon toward
resolution of the Israeli/Palestinian crisis. President Bush and his
administration have given new impetus to the peace process and renewed
their
commitment to a two-state solution for Palestine and Israel. Congress is
considering legislation that would give economic opportunity to the
Palestinians, opportunity that could lead to the stability necessary for
Israel and Palestine to live side by side in peace. My prayers are with
all
of these leaders, and most especially with the Palestinian and Israeli
people who for too long have lived with uncertainty and fear. May we
give
our encouragement and support to these efforts so that all may know the
blessings of peace.

The Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold
Presiding Bishop and Primate
The Episcopal Church, USA