From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] New 'Catechism of Creation' published by Committee on Science,

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:11:15 -0500

Daybook, from Episcopal News Service

March 28, 2005 -- Monday Mission: FEAST (Faith, Environment, Action,
Science, Technology)

New 'Catechism of Creation' published by Committee on Science,
Technology
and Faith

Document prepared for study in congregations

By Phina Borgeson

[ENS] -- The Committee on Science, Technology and Faith has announced
its
publication on-line of "A Catechism of Creation: An Episcopal
Understanding." Prepared for study in congregations, the document is
organized in question-and-answer format and posted on-line at
www.episcopalchurch.org/science.

The document's three main sections suggest use in a range of situations,
and
have drawn praise from scientists and theologians, clergy and laity.

"The goal of the Catechism is to remind people of the importance of the
glory of creation and the ways in which it touches people's faith every
day," said the Rev. Kendall Harmon, canon theologian of the Diocese of
South
Carolina and editor of the Anglican Digest. "The doctrine of our
creation is
a vital part of our faith that's been too neglected in recent Christian
tradition."

Nevada's Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori, who is also a scientist
specializing in oceanography, said the Catechism promises to be "useful
in a
variety of venues: youth groups, diocesan environmental commissions, and
garden-variety adult education in the parish, as well as an educational
tool
when a particular issue presents itself in the local community."

Part I, "A Theology of Creation," provides basic biblical and historical
theological understandings of creation, with a strong emphasis on a
trinitarian view of God's ongoing creative activity. Preachers,
catechists,
and other teachers will find in this section useful background material
for
their ministries.

Part I is organized on a creedal pattern and offers abundance scripture
references, notes principal author and Committee Co-chair Robert J.
Schneider, a retired professor from Berea College, Kentucky.

Part II, "Creation and Science," explores the interaction of religious
and
scientific ways of knowing, and offers models for moving beyond a
conflicted
understanding of the two domains. Part II also highlights the
traditional
Anglican view on the compatibility of evolutionary and theological
understandings of creation, and addresses specific points, including the
"Intelligent Design Movement."

Committee member Sandra Michael, professor in the Department of
Biological
Studies at New York's Binghamton University, finds having such an
Episcopal
publication "especially important for our youth. Many want to go into a
science-related field, but often feel they can't talk about their faith
in
scientific circles. The Catechism of Creation should help them."

The Rev. Barbara Smith-Moran, Committee co-chair and interim assistant
at
Christ Church, Cambridge, Massachusetts says she sees "scientists I work
around light up when they realize that not all Christians are pushing a
literalist or fundamentalist belief agenda, especially about creation."

Schneider, the document's principal author, adds that using the
Catechism of
Creation in parish adult forums could provide a service to local
communities
"when informed parishioners speak up at local school board meetings. A
Christian witness from Episcopalians that affirms creation and supports
good
science education just might make a difference."

Nevada's Bishop Jefferts Schori agrees: "We have seen a resurgence in
attempts to dictate curriculum to school districts, for example, and
(the
Catechism) would be a helpful teaching tool for both parishioners and
for
members of the community."

Part III, "Caring for Creation," offers a rationale for human
stewardship of
and partnership with the rest of creation, a discipline grounded in
biblical
and traditional theology.

Committee member Jim Jordan sees grassroots uses for these principles in
his
community of Gualala, California (Diocese of Northern California), where
environmentalists are plentiful. "Many of them have negative opinions
about
churches because they think of Christians as being aligned with people
who
want to exploit the earth's natural resources selfishly," Jordan said.
"The
Creation Catechism plainly shows that is not true, and instead offers
theological and ethical underpinnings for responsible environmentalists.
It's an ideal tool for evangelism to those concerned for the
environment."

Development of "A Catechism of Creation" began when South Carolina's
Harmon
spearheaded the idea at a meeting of the Committee in April 2003. The
work
of drafting and editing was then taken up by Schneider, retired
professor of
classics and general studies from Berea College, where he pioneered a
course
on "Science and Faith."

"I always get satisfaction out of meeting the challenge to state things
succinctly and simply without losing the nuances," Schneider mused.
Numerous
drafts and copious input from members of the Committee and its
Sub-committee
on Creation made this a challenging task, he said.

These achievements were noted by Jefferts Schori: "I am impressed with
the
thought and care that has gone into the document," she said. "As a
scientist, I recognize the difficulty of translating technical material
into
accessible language; it is not solely a challenge to theologians. Kudos
the Committee on Science, Technology, and Faith. We are most grateful
for
your labors."

Other early responses to the Catechism of Creation underscore its
significance. Jim Miller, senior program associate of the Dialogue on
Science, Ethics and Religion of the American Association for the
Advancement
of Science said he considers the Catechism of Creation a gift to the
mainline Protestant Christian community. "It provides a clear
affirmation of
creation theology that is fully cognizant of and consistent with the
best
contemporary scientific understanding of nature," he said.

Like other members of the Ecumenical Round Table on Science, Technology
and
the Church, Miller has been concerned with bringing the science and
theology
dialogue, strong in the academic world, into local worshiping
communities.
"This is a good example of the science and theology dialogue in action.
It
should be useful at many age levels," he added.

Committee Co-chair Smith-Moran said, "Episcopalians have led the way
here,
producing a 'first edition,' so to speak. Committees in other
denominations
are already studying and reacting to the Catechism. Soon these
committees
will consult some of their own scientists and then put out their own
'new
improved editions.' Won't that be great?"

Summing up the potential impact of the Episcopal document, Bishop Jim
Kelsey
of Northern Michigan said, "Those who espouse 'Creationism' have seemed
lay claim (at least in public vernacular) to the word 'Creation.' It's
as if
there's been an abdication by more mainline traditions of the language,
so
that it's assumed by many that people of faith reject evolution and
other
scientific learnings and theories, and that people who focus on
scientific
thought reject outright any truths and insights garnered from faith.
It's a
false dichotomy."

Kelsey said the Catechism materials "offer a way of weaving together the
threads so that faith and scientific knowledge can be a tapestry,
helping us
see the mystery at the heart of God's creation without blinding us to
the
[scientific] disciplines which have become so integrated into our
culture."

-- The Rev. Josephine Borgeson of the Diocese of Northern California is
an
educator, writer and consultant specializing in intersections of faith,
science and the environment. Ordained a deacon in the Episcopal Church
in
1974, she has also served in diocesan staff positions in Nevada and Los
Angeles.