From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Newsline - Church of the Brethren news update

From COBNews@aol.com
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:10:32 EST

Date: March 30, 2005
Contact: Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
V: 847/742-5100 F: 847/742-6103
E-MAIL: _CoBNews@AOL.Com_ (mailto:CoBNews@AOL.Com)

CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN NEWSLINE
March 30, 2005

PETERS CREEK YOUTH PARTICIPATE IN SOUPER BOWL OF CARING

By Jack Lowe

Peters Creek Church of the Brethren in Roanoke, Va., has participated in the

Souper Bowl of Caring for the past ten years. I learned of it several years
before in a mailing from the organization. It seemed like such a simple idea

that I was surprised to learn how few churches were actually involved.

I asked the youth of Peters Creek to assist in receiving a special offering
for the Souper Bowl of Caring. That's how it works. On Super Bowl Sunday
youth
stand at the doors of the church following worship with soup pots or bowls.

Worshipers are asked to put in $1 as they leave worship. The funds are given
to an agency that works on world hunger--a soup kitchen, a food pantry, a
denominational hunger fund, or a like agency.

We chose RAM House, a ministry of Roanoke Area Ministries, where people can
receive a free breakfast and lunch, food assistance, financial assistance for

utilities and prescriptions, and employment assistance. This year our
offering included an added component. Our challenge was to raise $250 and
receive
250 cans of soup. Results were an offering of $146 and 150 cans of soup,
plus
other food and paper items. We canceled worship on the last two Sundays of
January because of snow and ice, so a special "Joyful Noise Offering" and an

offering for tsunami relief also fell to Super Bowl Sunday. Our total for
the
three special offerings was over $1,700.

The Souper Bowl of Caring began when seminarian Brad Smith prayed in worship

at Spring Valley Presbyterian Church in Columbia, S.C., on Super Bowl Sunday

1989. "Lord, even as we enjoy the Super Bowl football game, help us be
mindful of those who are without a bowl of soup to eat," he said. The youth
were
inspired by the prayer and planned the first Souper Bowl of Caring in the
Columbia area in 1990. From 22 churches, it has grown to 10,673 churches and

schools raising $3,803,833 so far in 2005. In the Roanoke Valley, Peters
Creek is
one of over 50 churches that participate. Each year, we seek to recruit at
least one new church. My hope is that every Church of the Brethren
congregation
will join in. For more information see _www.souperbowl.org_
(http://www.souperbowl.org) or write to Souper Bowl, Inc., P.O. Box 29224,
Columbia, SC
29224.

--Jack Lowe pastors Peters Creek Church of the Brethren in Roanoke, Va.

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to
continuing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out its
faith in
community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist faith
traditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It celebrates its
300th
anniversary in 2008. It counts about 130,000 members across the United
States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Brazil, the
Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Nigeria.

# # #

For more information contact:

Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
Director of News Services
Church of the Brethren General Board
1451 Dundee Ave.
Elgin, IL 60120
847-742-5100 ext. 260

The Church of the Brethren Newsline is produced by Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford,

director of news services for the Church of the Brethren General Board.
Newsline stories may be reprinted provided that Newsline is cited as the
source.
To receive Newsline by e-mail, write _cobnews@aol.com_
(mailto:cobnews@aol.com) or call 800-323-8039 ext. 260.