From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Gay Cleric Voices Support for WorldPride in Jerusalem

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:36:11 EST

N E W S R E L E A S E
Metropolitan Community Churches
_www.MCCchurch.org_ (http://www.MCCchurch.org) . _info@MCCchurch.org_
(mailto:info@MCCchurch.org)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 31, 2005

Internationally Known Gay Cleric Voices Support for WorldPride Gay Festival
in Jerusalem

"We are coming to Jerusalem. Jerusalem is our Holy City, too," says the
Reverend Dr. Troy D. Perry, founder of world's largest gay church group

Los Angeles -- An internationally-known gay cleric entered the debate over
the upcoming WorldPride festival and parade in Jerusalem today, noting "We
are
deeply saddened that once again, religion has been used to attack God's gay
and lesbian children." The Reverend Dr. Troy D. Perry, founder of the 43,000

member Metropolitan Community Churches, one of the world's largest
predominantly gay organizations, voiced his strong support for the
international gay
event schedule for Jerusalem in August 2005..

Perry, who is co-chair of an Interfaith Gay Clergy Conference to be held at
WorldPride, said, "We are coming to Jerusalem. And we are coming with gay
and
lesbian and bisexual and transgender clergy of many faith communities.
Jerusalem is our Holy City, too."

On Thursday, Christian, Jewish and Moslem clerics in Israel denounced the
WorldPride Festival, asking city officials to ban the observance.

"They have a right to their views," said Perry, "but they don't have a right

to globalize their prejudice and infringe on the freedoms of others. True
spiritual values are about inclusion and welcome, not attacks and threats."

Perry, a long time human rights activist, is the first openly gay person to
serve on the Los Angeles Human Rights Commission and is a past delegate to
the White House Conference on AIDS and the White House Conference on Hate
Crimes. In 1998, he was one of 100 U.S. religious leaders honored at a White
House
breakfast by U.S. President Bill Clinton for their contributions to American

society.

At a Thursday press conference in Israel, Rabbi Yehuda Levin, of the
Rabbinical Alliance of America, called the festival "the spiritual rape of
the Holy
City," adding, "This is not the homo land, it is the Holy Land."

"The religious voices attacking World Pride are loud and shrill, but they
are not representative of the growing spiritual movements that welcome gays
and
lesbians," said Perry.

"Thirty-six years of activism for gays and lesbians have taught me never to
be intimidated by the voices of hate and ridicule and exclusion. They only
make us stronger and more convinced in our work for equality. And this
attack
is no different," said Perry. "I'm inviting everyone I know to come to
WorldPride with me in August."

"Many of us will be gathering in Jerusalem not only to celebrate gay pride,
but also to celebrate our spiritual pride," said Perry. "We're coming as
pilgrims to pay homage to the three faiths of Christianity, Judaism, and
Islam
that hold Jerusalem sacred."

(END)

For More Information, Contact: