From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Secretary General of the Anglican Communion on the death of

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:04:00 -0800

ACNS 3963 | ACO | 2 APRIL 2005

Statement from the Secretary General of the Anglican Communion on the death
of Pope John Paul II

On behalf of the Anglican Communion worldwide, I extend sympathy to our
brothers and sisters in the Roman Catholic Church as we join in mourning
the death of Pope John Paul II

Yet, at the same time, we also join people everywhere in thanking God for
the long and remarkable ministry of this beloved Christian leader and pray
Godâ??s blessing on the Roman Catholic Church as it seeks guidance in
selecting a successor. Pope John Paul IIâ??s dedication to ecumenism was
tireless and his relationships with three Archbishops of Canterbury, the
late Lord Runcie, Lord Carey and Archbishop Rowan Williams, were marked by
mutual care, affection, and respect.

The Anglican Communion Office and the Pontifical Council for Christian
Unity work closely and I pray the vitality of that work will continue. We
especially remember Cardinal Kasper, Fr Don Bolen, and its staff in our
prayers.

The Revd Canon Kenneth Kearon
Secretary General of the Anglican Communion