From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Medley Mourns Passing of Pope John Paul II

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Rich.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:34:45 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 4/4/05)--American
Baptist Churches USA General Secretary the Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley has
expressed sadness over the death of Pope John Paul II and appreciation
for the pontiff's commitment to interfaith dialog and to social justice.

"Today, with many other American Baptists and Christians throughout the
world, I deeply mourn the passing of Pope John Paul II," Medley said
Saturday after the news of the pope's death had been received.

"Although our traditions each are distinctive, we have shared with this
great pastoral leader a fundamental commitment to glorify God through
embracing the precious gift of new life and reconciliation embodied in
our Lord Jesus Christ," Medley said. "Over the past quarter century
John Paul II inspired millions of Catholics to examine their faith and
draw closer to God. He has been a leading voice for the poor and
disenfranchised throughout the world, and a strong advocate for
peacemaking and for understanding among cultures and religions."

"My prayer," Medley said, "is that our Roman Catholic sisters and
brothers will find God's peace and comfort at this moment, as the
transition to new leadership begins."

K/2005ABNS/05ABN32

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA
x2077 / (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org