From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

STATEMENT GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA ON DEATH OF

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 09:29:32 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org
Email: communications@goarch.org

For Immediate Release
April 2, 2005

Contact: Marissa P. Costidis
732-522-1637

STATEMENT OF THE GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
ON THE DEATH OF POPE JOHN PAUL II

We participate in the sorrow of the Roman Catholic Church during this difficult time of the departure of Pope John Paul II, and we join the world in offering prayers knowing that he is now in the world of eternal rest.

The Pope, who began his papacy in October 1978, has guided the Roman Catholic Church through transforming years, remaining firm on traditional values while offering love, compassion, and forgiveness. He touched many people with his gentle manner and his openness to people of other religions.

During the tenure of Pope John Paul II, the relationship between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church has improved significantly. In a most recent relevant event last November, Archbishop Demetrios, spiritual leader of 1.5 million Greek Orthodox Christians in America, had the opportunity to visit and be with the Pope in a special occasion at The Vatican. This was a ceremony during which the Pope, responding to the request of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, returned the Holy Relics of Saint John Chrysostom and Saint Gregory the Theologian, two of the most prominent Fathers of the undivided Church. The Holy Relics now rest at the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople.

We, as Orthodox Christians, will always remember, among other instances, this expression of a desire for reconciliation and unity as we pray for the repose of his soul. *************************************** Get your first 10 digital prints or your first roll of film FREE at: http://www.orthodoxphoto.com