From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Newsline - Church of the Brethren news update

From COBNews@aol.com
Date Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:17:38 EDT

Date: April 5, 2005
Contact: Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
V: 847/742-5100 F: 847/742-6103
E-MAIL: CoBNews@AOL.Com

CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN NEWSLINE
Special Report April 5, 2005

ASSOCIATION OF BRETHREN CAREGIVERS POSTS END-OF-LIFE RESOURCES

April 5, 2005 (Elgin, IL) -- The Association of Brethren Caregivers
(ABC), an agency of the Church of the Brethren, has posted several
end-of-life resources from the Church of the Brethren on its
website, prompted by the widespread media coverage of the deaths of
Terri Schiavo and Pope John Paul II. The two deaths have spurred
many in the church to think about end-of-life issues, ABC said in
a statement. ABC provides publications and educational and faith
opportunities that encourage the church to do caring ministries as
the work of Jesus Christ.

"Within a week's time, the nation and members of the Church of the
Brethren have witnessed two very different experiences of death
with the passing of Terri Schiavo and Pope John Paul II," ABC said.
Pope John Paul II's death came after a long life of service as
leader of the Roman Catholic Church, and years of deteriorating
health. Schiavo, a Florida woman who had been declared in a
"vegetative state," died after her feeding tube was removed by
court order, and after years of legal battles between her husband
and parents regarding her condition and care.

"These two different experiences of death have caused many people
to begin discussing the theological and practical aspects of their
own end of life," ABC said. "Equally important, Schiavo and Pope
John Paul II's deaths have spurred families and friends to begin
talking with one another about their wishes and plans at their end
of life."

End-of-life resources offered at www.brethren.org/abc/ include
"Facing the Gray Areas in Dying," a four-page article by Guy
Wampler; two articles about preparing for the end of life, from the
ABC quarterly magazine "Caregiving"; an end-of-life preparations
worksheet; a link to a hospice website providing help in creating
advance directives in the different US states; worship resources
and related scriptures; a resource list of books for adults and
children; and a link to the 1996 Annual Conference End-of-Life
Decision-Making Statement. ABC helped to form the statement, which
affirms that "we do not live to ourselves, and we do not die to
ourselves. If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die
to the Lord" (Romans 14:7-8).

Other end-of-life resources produced by ABC and sold through
Brethren Press are five end-of-life study guides written by Grady
Snyder, a retired Church of the Brethren seminary professor (to
order call 800-441-3712). Articles about end-of-life issues also
have appeared in the Winter 2000 issue of "Caregiving," which was
devoted to the topic (order from Mary Dulabaum at 800-323-8039 ext.
304).

ABC affirms the Annual Conference statement that "spiritual growth
can come from facing suffering and death honestly." The agency
hopes that the resources it provides will help individuals consider
their own end of life, and that of their loved ones, from a
biblical and Brethren understanding.

For more information see www.brethren.org/abc/ or call ABC at
800-323-8039.

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to
continuing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living
out its faith in community. The denomination is based in the
Anabaptist and Pietist faith traditions and is one of the three
Historic Peace Churches. It celebrates its 300th anniversary in
2008. It counts about 130,000 members across the United States and
Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Brazil, the
Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Nigeria.

# # #

For more information contact:

Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
Director of News Services Church of the Brethren General Board
1451 Dundee Ave.
Elgin, IL 60120
847-742-5100 ext. 260

The Church of the Brethren Newsline is produced by Cheryl
Brumbaugh-Cayford, director of news services for the Church of the
Brethren General Board. Newsline stories may be reprinted provided
that Newsline is cited as the source. To receive Newsline by
e-mail, write cobnews@aol.com or call 800-323-8039 ext. 260.