From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] World Alliance of Reformed Churches mourns,

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:39:08 -0500

Note #8703 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05184
April 4, 2005

World Alliance of Reformed Churches
mourns, salutes Pope John Paul II

Reformed Christians around the world stand with their sisters and
brothers in mourning the death of Pope John Paul II, leaders of the World
Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) said Monday.

Speaking on behalf of the 75 million-strong Alliance, which includes
218 churches in 107 countries, the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, WARC's
president, and the Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi, general secretary, gave thanks to
God for the impact the pope made as leader of the Roman Catholic Church.

"He clearly valued being with people in their circumstances, sharing
their experiences and struggles," the WARC leaders said in a prepared
statement. "His travels to different parts of the world to encourage the
faithful and sometimes challenge the forces of evil will remain a great
contribution in a broken world which has needed strong voices for
transformation."

While the Reformed leaders acknowledged that they did not agree with
Pope John Paul II on all ethical issues, they made clear that there were
major issues on which they shared conviction, including his general concern
for human dignity, his opposition to the Iraq war, and his advocacy of
religious freedom and economic justice.

It was under the 26-year papacy of John Paul II that two phases of
the Reformed-Roman Catholic dialogue were conducted, dealing with such issues
as their common understanding of church and the church's witness to the
Kingdom of God.

"In terms of ecumenical gains during his papacy, we celebrate more
than what was achieved in Reformed-Roman Catholic relationships. The
Catholic-Lutheran agreement on central aspects of a doctrine that divided the
church in the 16th century (the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of
Justification, 1999) and his invitation to a reflection on how the papal
ministry can be a ministry of Christian unity are only two examples of what
we are thankful for," the WARC leaders said.

They praised the late pope as a "good leader for our world - one who
knew and understood suffering, and who walked with those who suffer all over
the world."

They also offered condolences to the Roman Catholic family. "As we
thank God for his life and contributions, we pray for the Roman Catholic
family through these difficult times," they said.

The full text of the statement follows:

Statement of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches

It is with a deep sense of sorrow that we have learned of the passing
away of his holiness Pope John Paul II, Bishop of Rome and head of the Roman
Catholic Church. The World Alliance of Reformed Churches stands together with
the millions of Christians mourning his death.

We give thanks to God for the impact Pope John Paul II has made in
his lifetime as a leader. We give thanks for a ministry in which, as a
priest, bishop, and head of the Roman Catholic Church, he sought to bear
witness to the gospel in the contemporary world. He clearly valued being with
people in their circumstances, sharing in their experiences and struggles.
His travels to different parts of the world to encourage the faithful and
sometimes challenge the forces of evil will remain a great contribution in a
broken world which has needed strong voices for transformation.

While we may not have agreed on every social ethical stance, the
papacy of Pope John Paul II has emphasized a clear stand on some major issues
which are shared by the World Alliance of Reformed Churches. These include
concern for human dignity in general, peace, resistance to war (for example
the Iraq war), religious freedom and economic justice. We recall with thanks
events such as the two days of Prayer in Assisi (held 10 years apart) that
were organized to demonstrate a value for inter-religious solidarity for
peace that had his personal stamp of leadership.

Under his long papacy the World Alliance of Reformed Churches has
carried out two phases of the Reformed-Roman Catholic dialogues which have
brought increased understanding between the Reformed and Roman Catholic
families. The first series focused on "Our common understanding of the churc"
(1984-1990) and the second "The church's witness to the Kingdom of God"
(1997-2004). In addition, it was under his papacy that we held a trilateral
consultation on Indulgences in which Reformed and Lutheran representatives
engaged in discussion with Roman Catholic counterparts - a discussion which
until then was not possible for centuries.

In terms of ecumenical gains during his papacy, we celebrate more
than what was achieved in Reformed-Roman Catholic relationships. The
Catholic-Lutheran agreement on central aspects of a doctrine that divided the
church in the 16th century (the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of
Justification, 1999) and his 1995 invitation to a reflection on how the papal
ministry can be a ministry of Christian unity are only two examples of what
we are thankful for.

As we thank God for his life and contributions, we pray for the Roman
Catholic family through these difficult times.

On behalf of the leadership and member churches of the World Alliance
of Reformed Churches we offer our condolences as we mourn the death of a pope
who has been a good leader for our world - one who knew and understood
suffering, and who walked with those who suffer all over the world.

Rev. Dr. Clifton Kirkpatrick
President

Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi
General Secretary