From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Letter of condolence from Kirkpatrick to Catholics

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:41:27 -0500

Note #8704 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05185
April 4, 2005

April 2, 2005

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ in the Catholic Church,

On behalf of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), I join you in the
mourning of the death of His Holiness Pope John Paul II. Know that the
prayers of Presbyterian and Reformed Christians worldwide are with you at
this difficult time.

As Pope John Paul II traveled around the world, he offered spiritual
inspiration to millions of Catholics and non-Catholics alike. He modeled and
defended the Christian faith in all aspects of his life.

Those of us in the Presbyterian Church (USA) deeply appreciated the
opportunity to send a delegation to Rome in 2001 to meet with His Holiness
and the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity. Pope John Paul II
did much to further the cause of Christian unity throughout the world by
supporting dialogue and encouraging positive relationships within the larger
Christian community. We rejoice in the significant steps that have been taken
between our two churches toward the goal of Christian unity since the Second
Vatican Council.

It is in times like these when we are most keenly reminded of our
common bond as brothers and sisters in Christ and members together of
Christ's body. As the apostle Paul wrote to the church in Corinth, "If one
member suffers, all suffer together with it ..." (1 Cor. 12:26).

We give heartfelt thanks for the life of His Holiness Pope John Paul
II and his steadfast witness to the gospel. We will continue to hold in
prayer the College of Cardinals as they discern the will of God in choosing
the new spiritual leader for the Catholic Church.
Yours in Christ,

Clifton Kirkpatrick
Stated Clerk of the General Assembly