From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 198-'Witch daughters' cared for by United Methodist Church

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:58:03 -0500

'Witch daughters' cared for by United Methodist Church

Apr. 6, 2005

NOTE: This story is the fourth part of a six-week Close Up series,
"Mozambique: A Land of Contrasts." Related reports, photographs and
audio are available at http://umns.umc.org.

By Kathy L. Gilbert*

MASSIGNA, Mozambique (UMNS)-After Joaneta Tomo Come's husband died in
1991, her four children chased her out of her home because they thought
she killed him using witchcraft.

"They said, 'You have to go away, you killed our father,' and I haven't
heard from any of them since then," she says.

Come is one of 26 elderly women living at the United Methodist Hanhane
Women's Shelter. All are there because their families accused them of
witchcraft and threw them out.

These "witch daughters" are cared for by the United Methodist Women's
Society of Mozambique.

"I feel better here; I am not suffering like I used to," Come says. She
arrived when the shelter opened in 1992. The women have formed a
community in the shelter and say they feel comforted to be part of the
"family of the United Methodist Church."

Gina Chichava, wife of Mauricio Chichava, superintendent of the Massinga
North and South districts, lives close by and keeps a watch on the
women.

"I have heard of relatives coming here to talk to them, but the majority
do not," she says. "In one case, a son did write to the district and
apologized for the treatment of his mother, and eventually she went home
to live with him."

Church leaders visit to talk and worship and let the women know someone
cares. The women help one another also.

Most suffer from asthma and arthritis. A local retired nurse visits
twice a week, "but she often lacks medication to give them," Chichava
says.

The Hanhane Women's Shelter was established because the Women's Society
saw the need. "It is such a shame to see elderly women wandering around
the streets," says Judite Gemo, a member of the society. She and others
say it is not uncommon for older women to be cast out of their families
and accused of witchcraft.

The women live in traditional huts, but a permanent shelter is planned.
In 2003, the huts were destroyed by a cyclone, prompting Bishop Joao S.
Machado to ask for help in building permanent housing. The Mozambique
Initiative in Missouri has contributed $6,000, and another $4,000 is
needed before construction can begin, says Carol Kreamer, U.S.
coordinator of the Missouri Mozambique Initiative.

Contributions to the shelter may be sent through a local United
Methodist church or annual conference, or by mailing a check to Advance
GCFA, P.O. Box 9068, GPO, New York, NY 10087-9068. Write the check out
to "Advance GCFA" and include "Shelter for Dispossessed Widows,
Massinga," Advance #14507J, on the check memo line. Call (888) 252-6174
to give by credit card. For more information, visit the Advance Web
site, http://gbgm-umc.org/advance.

*Gilbert is a United Methodist News Service news writer in Nashville,
Tenn.

News media contact: Kathy L. Gilbert, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470
or newsdesk@umcom.org.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org