From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Episcopal Relief and Development names Robert Radtke as new

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:18:57 -0400

Friday, April 8, 2005

Episcopal Relief and Development names Robert Radtke as new president

Asia expert to lead growing agency; portfolio widened with $8 million
for
tsunami aid

ENS 040805-2

[ENS, New York] -- Episcopal Relief and Development (ERD) has named
Robert
Radtke, a well-known scholar in Asian political and socio-economic
issues,
to lead the agency as its next president.

Radtke, 40, will begin work on July 5 after concluding his term as
senior
vice president for programs at the New York-based Asia Society where he
has
been a key executive team member for the past decade.

Radtke succeeds Sandra Swan, who is retiring after six years as ERD
president. During her tenure, Swan led the agency in a major
reorganization
and in responding to crises including Hurricane Mitch; civil unrest in
Kosovo; the terror attacks of September 11, 2001; and the 2004 South
Asian
tsunami that has prompted more than $8 million in contributions to ERD.

"I am humbled and thrilled that I have been asked to join in ERD's
important
work," said Radtke, whose father is an Episcopal priest. "I look forward
working with the wonderful board and staff at ERD as we shape its future
together. Episcopalians everywhere can be proud of what ERD has achieved
under Sandra's leadership, and I am honored to build on her many
accomplishments."

Radtke has been welcomed enthusiastically by ERD's board, and its
chairman,
Bishop Harry Bainbridge of Idaho. "Rob has the ability to connect his
faith
with his commitment to Episcopal Relief and Development's ministry of
reaching people in need around the world," Bainbridge said.

Adding that Radtke "will help ERD realize its great potential as we move
into new territory," Bainbridge called him "a wonderful person of faith
who
sees his new role as an opportunity to align his professional concerns
for
the poor, sick and others in need with his faith journey."

>From her view as outgoing ERD president, Swan said Radtke "is poised to
take the organization to the next level. I am confident that I am
leaving
Episcopal Relief and Development in extremely capable hands."

Radtke's expertise includes building partnerships for the Asia Society
with
United Nations agencies, non-governmental organizations, and private
funding
sources, including the Ford Foundation and the Bill & Melinda Gates
Foundation.

Before working with the Asia Society, Radtke was vice president of the
Business Council for the United Nations. He earned his bachelor's degree
in
East Asian languages and cultures from Columbia University. He holds a
doctorate in modern history from the University of Oxford, which he
attended
as a Rhodes Scholar.

Radtke is a member of the Association of American Rhodes Scholars and
the
Council on Foreign Relations. He serves as vice chairman of the advisory
board of the Center for Religious Inquiry at St. Bartholomew's Church in
New
York City where he is an active parishioner with his wife, Mary Abraham,
an
attorney. The couple has an eight-year-old daughter, Eva Warren.

He is also a frequent contributor to the media on a broad range of
topics,
including HIV/AIDS in Asia and U.S.-China relations.

"We are excited about Rob's passion, experience and vision," said Gilda
Wray, ERD board member and chair of the search committee. "He will
uphold
Episcopal Relief and Development's mission, while guiding the
organization
to greater heights and new directions in international relief and
development."

ERD is an independent 501(c) 3 organization dedicated to saving lives
and
building hope in communities around the world. The agency provides
emergency
assistance in times of crisis and helps communities rebuild after
disasters,
providing food and health care which enable children and families to
advance
out of poverty. More information is posted at www.er-d.org. Inquiries
may be
directed to Malaika Kamunanwire, director ERD's annual fund and
communication, at 800.334.7626.