From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[GOAA] Ecumenical Patriarchate on Archbishop Iakovos Death

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:23:26 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org
Email: communications@goarch.org

ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE

ANNOUNCEMENT

Replete with sentiments of sincere grief, our Holy Great Mother Church of
Christ announces that yesterday, April 10, His Eminence, the venerable
former Archbishop Iakovos of America passed away in the Lord. He was 94
years old.

This man, who like an oak tree that offered its shade to the devout flock
of the Greek Orthodox community in America, was born on Imvros, the
island of the Aegean Sea from where many great men have come. He gained
international recognition and became a vehicle through which the
centuries-long tradition of the Orthodox spirit was expressed in the New
World. It was in the New World where he sincerely and very fruitfully
ministered to Orthodoxy and to the Nation in many capacities, a diakonia
for which the Mother Church will remember him with great gratitude,
praying that his memory be eternal.

This hierarch of blessed memory, Archbishop Iakovos, was a genuine bearer
of the spirit of martyrdom of the Ecumenical Throne. He duly honored the
Mother Church, which honored him. He devoted himself to the ministry of
the Mother Church through his final days.

Archbishop Iakovos was the spiritual leader of the Greek Orthodox
Archdiocese of America for thirty-seven consecutive years, and through
the authority of his personality by words and deeds he advanced the faith
and culture of the Nation. He made sure that Orthodoxy was accorded her
due respect every time he represented the Mother Church in meetings with
religious and political persons, and he enjoyed the esteem and respect of
all.

As a ship at dock, he retired in 1996, but he incessantly continued to
occupy himself with honorable concerns and was always making efforts to
promote the general welfare of matters pertaining to the Church and the
Nation.

The blessed soul of our revered Elder and most precious member of our
Ecumenical Patriarchate is already in the hands of the Lord. We
fervently pray for the repose of his soul and for his worthiness to
behold the face of the Great High Priest, our Lord Jesus Christ. We,
also, express our condolences to the most devout flock of the Holy
Archdiocese of America, which sincerely and deeply loved this Hierarch of
blessed memory.

May the memory of our departed brother, Archbishop Iakovos, be eternal
and blessed.
At the Patriarchate, April 11, 2005

Chief Secretariat of the Holy and Sacred Synod