From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UCC NEWS] Jaramillo being considered for UCC's top justice post

From guessb@ucc.org
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:17:13 -0400

United Church of Christ
United Church News
The Rev. J. Bennett Guess, News Director
216/736-2177
<guessb@ucc.org>

For immediate release
April 13, 2005

Jaramillo being considered for UCC's top justice post
Longtime justice advocate recommended to lead Justice and Witness
Ministries

M. Linda Jaramillo, a seasoned lay leader in the United Church of Christ
and a longtime justice advocate, is being recommended to succeed the Rev.
Bernice Powell Jackson as executive minister of the UCC's Justice and
Witness Ministries and as a member of the UCC's five-person Collegium of
Officers.

Jaramillo, 57, was chosen by a search committee and her name was forwarded
to JWM's Executive Committee, which affirmed the recommendation last week.
Her candidacy became public today (April 13) in a letter by Rose Lee, JWM's
board chairperson, to the covenanted ministry's full board of directors.

"Linda Jaramillo is a distinguished member of the United Church of Christ,
serving in a number of leadership capacities," Lee said in her letter.
"?
In her professional life, she has extensive management experience [with
more than] 30 years in state- and county-funded programs in Oregon,
including Head Start, migrant services, Hispanic services, violence
prevention, HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention, and adult community-based
education."

Jaramillo now must receive a two-thirds majority vote of JWM's board, which
will meet just prior to General Synod 25 in Atlanta. If affirmed, she will
then need the approval of General Synod delegates before beginning a
four-year term on Oct. 1.

Although eligible, Jackson ? the first and only executive of JWM since
its
founding in 2000 ? announced last fall that she would not seek an
additional term in office.

Jaramillo has served in numerous capacities in every setting of the UCC ?
as a member and moderator of Ainsworth UCC in Portland, Ore.; as moderator,
vice-moderator, treasurer and search committee chair in the Central Pacific
Conference; as a member and committee chair of the Executive Council; and
as assistant moderator of General Synod. In 2002, she was a UCC delegate to
the World Council of Churches Assembly in Harare, Zimbabwe.

She received a B.S. in Business Administration from Portland (Ore.) State
University in 1990 and will graduate with a Master of Divinity degree from
UCC-related Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, Calif., this May.

Jaramillo, a Chicana who is fluent in both English and Spanish, is poised
to become the first Hispanic to serve as a member of the UCC's Collegium of
Officers. She is a former president and vice-president of the Council for
Hispanic Ministries and co-convener of the Council of Racial and Ethnic
Ministries. She has served on the board of the U.S.-Mexican Centro Alberto
Rembao Theological Study Center and as a visitor to the Latin American
Council of Churches Assembly.

With offices in Cleveland, Washington, D.C., and the historic Franklinton
Center in Whitakers, N.C., JWM is the successor organization of several
justice-related church agencies, of which Jaramillo had extensive
involvement. She is a former board member and committee chair of both the
Commission for Racial Justice and the Coordinating Center for Women.

Jaramillo is a member of the UCC's Coalition for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and
Transgender Concerns and has been a member of its Open and Affirming Task
Force.

"On various occasions, I have been described as a person relentlessly
seeking justice, passionate about peace, and ready to challenge powers
and
principalities that threaten equality for all. I consider it an honor to be
assigned such labels," Jaramillo wrote in her letter of application for the
post. "? Kinship with God and each other requires that everyone be treated
with dignity and respect ? nothing less."

Jaramillo told United Church News that her friends and family view her
candidacy as the culmination of lifelong preparation. For her, she says, it
comes with a strong sense of God's call.

"I believe discernment is not a personal experience, but a communal
experience" she said. "I had this sense of call, and people around me have
been saying, 'This is what you've been preparing for.' Now I think I know
what God is telling me ? and telling the church."

###