From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] From Executive Council: A letter to Bishop John Paterson

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:34:14 -0400

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

>From Executive Council: A letter to Bishop John Paterson

ENS 041305-1

[ENS] -- A letter to the Rt. Rev. John C. Paterson, Chair of the
Anglican
Consultative Council, from the Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold and the Very
Rev.
George L. W. Werner on behalf of the Executive Council of the Episcopal
Church.

The Executive Council met in special session at the University of St.
Mary
of the Lake in Mundelein, Illinois, to consider the request of the
Primates
to "voluntarily withdraw" our members for a time from participation in
the
Anglican Consultative Council. This is a weighty matter for the
Episcopal
Church since the ACC is the primary instrument of communion in which the
fullness of the Body of Christ is represented. Representative
consultation
is an essential component of our life as a church. We struggled to
discern
how best to respond to the request.

We are acutely aware that we meet in a time of great distress and need
in
the wider world. War, famine and disease stalk the earth. We express our
passionate commitment to the mission of the church and especially to the
United Nations Millennium Development Goals endorsed by our General
Convention.

We are unanimous in our desire to do all that we can to preserve and
further
the bonds of affection in the "new humanity" created by Christ Jesus
(Eph.
2:15). This in our view constitutes the very essence of our life
together as
Anglican Christians. We firmly believe that the only way to address the
things that divide us is for "Christians of good will ... to engage
honestly
and frankly with each other" (Windsor Report, paragraph 146). We are
therefore heartened by the decision of the Chair of the ACC, responding
the Primates' communiqué to include in the program for the upcoming
meeting
in Nottingham an opportunity for a consultation at which major
contributions
will come from the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of Canada.

We are mindful that Christ has made us members of one body, and that no
part
can say to any other "I have no need of you." At the same time we wish
express our openness to the concerns and beliefs of others. In the
spirit of
the Covenant Statement recently adopted by our House of Bishops, we
voluntarily withdraw our members from official participation in the ACC
as
it meets in Nottingham. As an expression of our desire "to bear one
another's burdens" (Galatians 6:2), we are asking our members to be
present
at the meeting to listen to reports on the life and ministry we share
across
the Communion and to be available for conversation and consultation.

Please be assured of our prayers and continuing support for the mission
we
share in the Risen Christ.