From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS] A letter to Bishop John Paterson

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:43:41 -0700

ACNS 3968 | USA | 14 APRIL 2005

A letter to Bishop John Paterson

>From the Episcopal New Service of the United States of America

A letter to the Rt Revd John C Paterson, Chair of the Anglican Consultative
Council, from the Most Revd Frank T Griswold and the Very Revd George L W
Werner on behalf of the Executive Council of the Episcopal Church.

The Executive Council met in special session at the University of St Mary
of the Lake in Mundelein, Illinois, to consider the request of the Primates
to "voluntarily withdraw" our members for a time from participation in the
Anglican Consultative Council (ACC). This is a weighty matter for the
Episcopal Church since the ACC is the primary instrument of communion in
which the fullness of the Body of Christ is represented. Representative
consultation is an essential component of our life as a church. We
struggled to discern how best to respond to the request.

We are acutely aware that we meet in a time of great distress and need in
the wider world. War, famine and disease stalk the earth. We express our
passionate commitment to the mission of the church and especially to the
United Nations Millennium Development Goals endorsed by our General Convention.

We are unanimous in our desire to do all that we can to preserve and
further the bonds of affection in the "new humanity" created by Christ
Jesus (Eph. 2:15). This in our view constitutes the very essence of our
life together as Anglican Christians. We firmly believe that the only way
to address the things that divide us is for "Christians of good will ... to
engage honestly and frankly with each other" (Windsor Report, paragraph
146). We are therefore heartened by the decision of the Chair of the ACC,
responding to the Primates' communiqué to include in the program for the
upcoming meeting in Nottingham an opportunity for a consultation at which
major contributions will come from the Episcopal Church and the Anglican
Church of Canada.

We are mindful that Christ has made us members of one body, and that no
part can say to any other "I have no need of you." At the same time we wish
to express our openness to the concerns and beliefs of others. In the
spirit of the Covenant Statement recently adopted by our House of Bishops,
we voluntarily withdraw our members from official participation in the ACC
as it meets in Nottingham. As an expression of our desire "to bear one
another's burdens" (Galatians 6:2), we are asking our members to be present
at the meeting to listen to reports on the life and ministry we share
across the Communion and to be available for conversation and consultation.

Please be assured of our prayers and continuing support for the mission we
share in the Risen Christ.

ENDS

Notes for editors

The Rt Revd John Paterson, Bishop of Auckland, New Zealand, is the chair of
the Anglican Consultative Council

Information on the Anglican Consultative Council can be found here:

http://www.aco.org/acc/index.cfm

Additionally, the Anglican Communion Primates' Meeting Communiqué can be
found here:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/39/00/acns3948.cfm