From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Archbishop of Canterbury commends Executive Council letter

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:34:54 -0400

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Archbishop of Canterbury commends Executive Council letter

ENS 041405-1

[ENS] -- In a communication to Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold,
Archbishop
of Canterbury Rowan Williams extended thanks to the Episcopal Church's
Executive Council for its decision to withdraw its three American
members
from official participation in the Anglican Consultative Council meeting
in
Nottingham, England in June.

"I have just received the news of the decision about ACC. Thank you
all,"
Williams said. "I can guess how hard it will have been, but you have
acted
very generously and constructively and I hope this will bear the fruit
that
it should."

The Council's letter, addressed to the Rt. Rev. John C. Paterson, chair
of
the Anglican Consultative Council, stated that "In the spirit of the
Covenant Statement recently adopted by our House of Bishops, we
voluntarily
withdraw our members from official participation in the ACC as it meets
in
Nottingham. As an expression of our desire 'to bear one another's
burdens'
(Galatians 6:2), we are asking our members to be present at the meeting
listen to reports on the life and ministry we share across the Communion
and
to be available for conversation and consultation."