From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Greek Orthodox Archbishop Iakovos dies at 93: Presiding

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:19:59 -0400

Monday, April 11, 2005

Greek Orthodox Archbishop Iakovos dies at 93: Presiding Bishop's
statement

ENS 041105-1

[ENS] -- "We in the Episcopal Church join with our brother and sister
Christians everywhere in mourning the loss of Archbishop Iakovos who led
the
Greek Orthodox Church in the Americas for some 37 years and who departed
this life on April 10, 2005. He was a champion of ecumenism who fostered
dialogue with other Orthodox churches, Episcopalians, Lutherans,
Southern
Baptists, and other denominations, as well as standing always for human
rights and the dignity of every human being. As the Greek Orthodox
prepare
to celebrate the Easter Feast, may they be comforted by the assurance
that
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and giving
life to those in the tomb."

The Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold
Presiding Bishop and Primate
The Episcopal Church, USA