From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

DISCIPLES NOMINATE VETERAN CHURCH LEADER AS NEXT GMP

From "Wilma Shuffitt" <wshuffitt@cm.disciples.org>
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:53:54 -0500

Date: April 18, 2005
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Phone: 317-713-2492
E-mail: news@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

For immediate
release

INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- April 18, 2005 -- An Oklahoma minister and
veteran church leader has been nominated to serve as General Minister
and President of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

The Rev. Dr. Sharon E. Watkins, 50, Senior Minister, Disciples
Christian Church of Bartlesville, Okla., was unanimously endorsed by the
church's General Board on Sunday, April 17 as its choice to serve as
General Minister and President of the 770,000 member denomination.

"I am enormously pleased with the recommendation of the General Board
and believe that the Rev. Dr. Sharon Watkins possesses the gifts,
talents, grace, intellect, and strength to lead our church, said Dr.
Charisse Gillett, church moderator and presides over the General Board.

"I am honored to be the person nominated to lead our denomination
during a period of such exciting change and possibility," commented
Watkins. "As a life-long Disciple, I know our church has a unique
God-given mission for these times - a mission that has to do with the
extravagant hospitality of the communion table. We welcome and nurture
whoever comes through our doors, and then send those people back out in
the world to be and to share the good news of God's love."

Rev. Watkins name was approved at the denomination's annual General
Board meeting, in Indianapolis, Ind. She will stand for election during
the Disciples General Assembly, which will be held July 23-27, in
Portland, Ore. If elected, she will be the first female to head the
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

"Sharon is smart and committed to the church. She has a vision,
she's excited, and she has experience and will bring a pastor's
heart and sensibility to the office of the OGMP," said the Rev. Dr.
LaTaunya Bynum, Chair of the Search Committee.

Added Rev. Dr. Wm. Chris Hobgood, who is presently serving as General
Minister and President: "I believe the church is blessed to have a
leader like Sharon Watkins emerge. She is a very gifted leader and
person of deep faith. Because she calls on God before she does anything
else, the faithful leadership she will give will stand this church in
very good stead."

Rev. Watkins has an extensive background of service to the church and
its related institutions. She was Director of Student Services at
Phillips Theological Seminary and Director of Church Relations and
Associate Vice President for University Relations at Phillips
University. She has been a member of the General Board, the General
Board Task Force on Reconciliation Mission, Moderator of the Christian
Church (DOC) in Oklahoma, and part of the Stone-Campbell Dialogue group,
which looks, in part at the traditions and history of the Disciples.

Rev. Watkins has been engaged in ecumenical discussions over the years,
conversations on stewardship, and has made presentations on worship,
Bible study, and women in the ministry. She has served as an adjunct
professor at Phillips Theological Seminary, teaching about pastoral
vocations, history, theology and practice of worship, as well as
spiritual dimensions. She has traveled extensively, and served for two
years as a missionary in the Congo, working on adult literacy programs.

Rev. Watkins was ordained in 1984 at Hamden, Conn. She has a Doctor of
Ministry degree from Phillips Theological Seminary, a master's of
divinity from the Yale Divinity School, and a bachelor's degree in
French and Economics from Butler University.

She is married to the Rev. Dr. Richard (Rick) H. Lowery, Professor of
Old Testament at Phillips Theological Seminary. They have two children,
Bethany, 21, and Christopher 19. Rev. Watkins has served and worshipped
at Disciples Christian Church in Bartlesville, Okla., since 1997.

- end -

Please check the Disciples website at www.disciples.org for additional
information about Sharon E. Watkins, nominee for the position of General
Minister and President of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

Contact:
Wanda Bryant Wills
317-713-2492
news@cm.disciples.org