From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Mary Holmes building to be razed

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:43:40 -0500

Note #8716 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05212
April 19,2005
Mary Holmes building to be razed

Local fire department schedules 'controlled burn' for training

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE - A dilapidated building on the former Mary Holmes College campus
in West Point, MS is to be demolished sometime this week by the local fire
department.

North Hall, a two-story brick-and-wood-siding structure on the
southeast corner of the campus, will be destroyed in a "controlled burn" as
part of a training exercise for firefighters.

Officials said the building, severely damaged by a storm spawned by
Hurricane Ivan last October, poses a potential safety risk. It could be
torched as early as Thursday, April 21, weather permitting.

"It is a real unsafe building," said West Point Fire Chief Johnny
Littlefield. "Of course, they can benefit by it being gone and we can benefit
from the training. It will allow us to use our large hoses, our big
2-and-a-half-inch hoses. This will be good for us being able to get everybody
on the end of one of the big hoses."

If poor weather leads to scrapping plans for the April 21 burn, the
demolition will take place the first day weather allows, Littlefield said. He
said eight firefighters from his department would man the hoses, with two
trucks standing by.

The demolition is being performed in coordination with the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), which is overseeing the property, located about
18 miles northeast of Starksville, MS.

The historic college, founded in 1892 for the education of African
American students, closed recently due to financial problems.

The PC(USA) will continue managing the property and will soon seek
proposals for its use. An office administrator and a
maintenance-groundskeeper remain as staff.

Three other campus buildings also are slated for demolition later
this spring because of safety concerns. In all, there are about two dozen
buildings on the property.

North Hall was built in the mid-1930s as a men's dormitory. It later
served as an office building and housed a bookstore and music room.

"The West Point fire department has been so helpful and supportive,"
said Joe Ferguson, the PC(USA)'s property manager. "We appreciate their
professional advice and know that they will take this building down in a safe
manner."