From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UCC NEWS] UCC could become first church to endorse marriage

From guessb@ucc.org
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:14:39 -0400

United Church of Christ
United Church News
The Rev. J. Bennett Guess, News Director
216/773-9222, newsroom@ucc.org.

For immediate release
April 21, 2005

United Church of Christ could become first mainline Christian denomination
to endorse civil and religious marriage equality

The 1.3-million-member United Church of Christ could become the first
mainline Christian denomination to endorse full marriage equality ?
regardless of gender ? if a proposed resolution is approved by the church's
General Synod this summer.

The controversial measure, brought forward by the UCC's Southern California
? Nevada Conference, became public today (April 21) when proposed
resolutions facing the church's national assembly were made available
online at <ucc.org/synod>. The UCC's biennial General Synod ? with about
3,000 delegates and visitors ? will meet July 1-5 at the Georgia World
Congress Center in downtown Atlanta.

"Ideas about marriage have shifted and changed dramatically throughout
human history, and such change continues even today," reads the opening
line of the proposed resolution, which goes on to spell out historical,
theological and biblical rationale for affirming both civil and religious
recognition of same-gender marriage.

It marks the first time the church's General Synod has been asked to
address the issue of marriage equality outright.

Asked for comment, the Rev. John H. Thomas, the UCC's general minister
and
president, told United Church News he would not make a statement about
the
proposal until he has had an opportunity to listen to different
perspectives from within the denomination.

In past years, the General Synod ? which speaks "to" but not "for" the
UCC's nearly-6,000 congregations ? has sidestepped the issue of same-gender
marriage, even while it has affirmed the ordination of lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender persons; called for full civil rights and equal
protections; and blessed the idea of "equal rites in covenant life" (or
holy unions) for non-married couples.

Earlier this year, the Cleveland-based denomination found itself at the
center of the marriage debate when it launched a national television
advertising campaign that featured a gay couple, among others, being
excluded from an unwelcoming, metaphorical church. CBS and NBC executives
rejected the 30-second ads, calling them issue-advocacy spots. CBS argued
the UCC's "bouncer ad" was a political statement about same-gender marriage
? a claim that church leaders flatly rejected.

The Rev. Libby Tigner, a spokesperson for the Southern California ? Nevada
Conference, told United Church News that same-gender marriage equality
is
both a legal and religious issue that should be acted upon by the General
Synod.

"We believe that all people are created equal in the eyes of God and should
be treated equal by our governmental bodies," she said. "This is a justice
issue."

Tigner, an associate minister at First Congregational United Church of
Christ in Long Beach, Calif., said the would-be resolution stems from a
similarly worded statement approved overwhelmingly at the Conference's
annual meeting held last year.

"That resolution instructed our Conference leaders to bring this resolution
to General Synod," she said, noting she realizes it is likely to generate
heated debate.

"There will be very lively conversation," she said, "and I hope there will
be prayerful discernment among the delegates, because God is still speaking
to us about marriage."

The proposal is certain to be met with opposition from some UCC members,
pastors and churches. Already, eight geographically-diverse congregations
already joined together to offer a counter resolution calling the church
"to embrace the scriptural definition of marriage."

"Throughout the scriptures, marriage is always defined as being between one
man and one woman," the counter resolution states. "We find examples of
those who violated God's natural moral order to their own detriment, but
God's standard and definition remained constant."

The Rev. Brett W. Becker, pastor of the 300-member St. Paul UCC in Cibolo,
Texas, who authored the one-man, one-woman resolution, said he believes the
UCC should be prophetic in its defense of "traditional, biblical marriage."

"We are the United Church of Christ and I'd like to see us be faithful
the teachings of Jesus," Becker said. "[Jesus] says point blank that
fornication is a sin ? and it's a wide term that applies to all sexual
behavior outside of marriage between a man and a woman."

The Southern California ? Nevada proposal argues that, throughout history,
marriage has been an evolving institution, pointing to earlier times when
polygamy was biblically normative, women were considered property and
interracial marriages were not only taboo, but illegal.

"Ideas about marriage have shifted and changed dramatically throughout
human history," it reads.

Becker, however, claims otherwise in his counter resolution: "The
scriptures never define marriage as being anything other than the union of
one man and one woman."

Said Becker, speaking about his proposal, "We should be loving toward all
people, regardless of what issues they are dealing with, and if we truly
love someone we will encourage them to avoid those things that are contrary
to the teachings of Jesus."

A third marriage-related document, brought by the Central Atlantic
Conference, takes a more-cautious approach by asking the church "to enter
into prayer, study and conversation" about marriage equality, including a
review of "cultural practices, economic realities, political dynamics,
religious history, and biblical interpretations."

All three marriage-related documents are to be considered alongside about
25 other issue-oriented proposals. Several address more-internal aspects of
the church's organizational life.

The UCC and its predecessor bodies have a long history of "arriving early"
on issues of social justice. According to its website <ucc.org>, the UCC
heritage lays claim to being the first church to advocate for democracy and
self-governance (1630), among the first to stand against slavery (1700),
the first to inspire and promote acts of civil disobedience (1773), the
first predominately-white church to ordain an African-American pastor
(1785), the first to create a foreign missions society (1810), the first to
form a theologically-diverse "united church" (1840), the first to form
an
integrated anti-slavery society (1846), the first to ordain a woman (1853),
the first church to assert that airwaves are owned by the public, not
corporations (1959), the first to ordain an openly gay man (1972), the
first mainline, racially-integrated national church to elect an
African-American leader (1976), and the first to publish an
inclusive-language hymnal (1995).

The UCC's historical list of "firsts" is available online at <
http://www.ucc.org/aboutus/firsts.htm>.

The United Church of Christ was formed in 1957 with the union of the
Congregational Christian Churches in America and the Evangelical and
Reformed Church. UCC congregations and structures, some dating back to
the
early 1600s, are among the oldest in the nation.

###