From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bush to Speak at Calvin Commencement

From "Henry Hess" <hessh@crcna.ca>
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:02:16 -0400

April 21, 2005-U.S. President George W. Bush will be the keynote speaker
at Calvin College's 2005 Commencement ceremonies on May 21.

Calvin College President Gaylen Byker said he is delighted that
President Bush accepted the invitation to address the graduating class
at the Christian liberal arts college located in Grand Rapids, Mich.

"It is a great honor to have the President of the United States speak at
Calvin," he said. "By virtue of his position, he is undoubtedly one of
the most influential people in the world.

"We want our students to leave this place challenged and motivated to
renew God's world in whatever they do. For our graduates to hear from
President Bush as they prepare to leave Calvin and make a difference in
the world is an extraordinary opportunity for them. The presence of
President Bush will certainly make this a commencement that students,
parents and the Calvin community will remember for years to come."

Byker said that, regardless of one's political persuasion, the
opportunity to hear from the President of the United States is a
singular opportunity.

"We invite many speakers to campus because we want our community to meet
and hear from important national and world figures," he said. "We need
to hear and learn from thinkers and leaders whether we agree with them
or not."

On May 5 Calvin will be host to Jim Wallis, a Christian leader for
social change and editor of Sojourners Magazine, who will speak on
"God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get
It."

This will mark President Bush's second appearance at the Calvin campus.
In January 2000, Mr. Bush, then governor of Texas, appeared on the stage
of the Calvin College Fine Arts Center as part of a nationally televised
debate among those seeking the Republican nomination for President.

U.S. Congressman Vernon Ehlers, who graduated from Calvin in 1956, was a
strong advocate for Calvin in its bid to have President Bush speak at
commencement.
Ehlers, who taught at Calvin for 17 years as a physics professor, has
been a member of the U.S. House of Representatives since 1993 and
throughout his time in political life has gained notice as a leader on
issues involving the environment, education and public health.

Calvin College is one of the largest Christian colleges in North America
and is internationally recognized as a center for faith-based liberal
arts teaching and scholarship. It is affiliated with the Christian
Reformed Church in North America.

-30-

Graphic:
http://www.crcna.org/whatweoffer/newsroom/news/images/2005apr18_calvin.gif