From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Orthodox Christians to Observe Pascha May 1st, Holy Week

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:18:17 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org
Email: communications@goarch.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 21, 2005

Contact: Nikki Stephanopoulos
212.570.3530

ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS OF AMERICA EXHORTS FAITHFUL TO
"USE EACH DAY OF OUR LIVES TO PREPARE TO RECEIVE
OUR LOVING LORD, THE KING OF GLORY"

ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS TO OBSERVE PASCHA MAY 1st
HOLY WEEK BEGINS ON PALM SUNDAY APRIL 24TH

New York, NY - PASCHA will be celebrated on May 1 this year by over 250
million Orthodox Christians throughout the world.

In his Paschal Encyclical, Archbishop Demetrios of America, spiritual
leader of 1.5 million Greek Orthodox Christians in America and Chairman
of the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops representing
over 6 million Orthodox Christians in the Americas, says:

"? By receiving Christ into our lives through the Holy Sacraments of the
Church and through our daily commitment to His divine will, we are given
an unfading hope of glory, of the fulfillment of the Kingdom of God, of a
new heaven and a new earth that is completely filled with the life and
light of our Lord."

"This hope that springs from the presence of the Risen Christ within us
directs us to live each and every day preparing to receive 'an
inheritance which is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading' (I Peter
1:4). This was the way our beloved former Archbishop Iakovos lived his
blessed life on earth before leaving us on April 10 to be forever with
Christ in heaven. He left us a strong message that our life here and now
is a journey toward heaven. We have been given this time to be reborn in
the image of the Life-Giver, to live each day in faith, and to anticipate
the fulfillment of all things and the great and glorious return of our
Savior. Just as we have prepared ourselves to receive the Paschal light
and affirm in joy and hymns the essence of our faith, we must use each
day of our lives to prepare to receive our loving Lord, the King of
glory."?

Archbishop Demetrios, will officiate at the Good Friday Service, April
29, beginning at 8:00 p.m. and Resurrection Service, April 26, beginning
at l1:00 p.m. at the Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity (319 E.
74th St., New York City). The Good Friday Lamentations and Resurrection
Service will be broadcast Live on Television National Greek Television
(NGTV) Time Warner Digital Channel 509 and ANTENNA SATELLITE NORTH
AMERICA. All Services of Holy Week will be broadcast live on Cathedral
and Archdiocese Websites: http://www.thecathedral.goarch.org and
http://live.goarch.org.

Archbishop Demetrios will officiate at Holy Week services in the
following Greek Orthodox parishes: Lazarus Saturday Liturgy at Holy
Trinity, Bridgeport, CT; Palm Sunday Liturgy, St. Sophia Cathedral,
Washington DC; SS. Constantine and Helen, Washington, DC, Bridegroom
Service, Sunday evening; Holy Trinity Hicksville, NY, Bridegroom Service,
Monday evening; Kimisis Tis Theotokou Church, Brooklyn, Bridegroom
Service, Tuesday evening; St. Demetrios Cathedral, Astoria, Bridegroom
Service, Wednesday evening; Holy Thursday Liturgy, St. Paul Chapel,
Archdiocese; Holy Passion, Thursday evening, St. Nicholas, Flushing; Good
Friday Apokathelosis, St. Michael's Home for the Aged and Good Friday
Lamentations, Holy Trinity Cathedral; Saturday morning, Vespers/Divine
Liturgy, St. Paul Cathedral, Hempstead, NY; Saturday evening Resurrection
and Sunday Agape services at the Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy
Trinity.

Centuries-old religious services which recall the passion, crucifixion
and Resurrection of Christ are conducted each morning and evening
throughout Holy Week in Orthodox Christian Churches including: Greek,
Russian, Romanian, Antiochian, Bulgarian, Carpatho-Russian, Albanian,
Serbian and Ukrainian, which serve some 6 million faithful in the
Americas.

On PALM SUNDAY during the Divine Liturgy, palms are blessed and
distributed to the faithful commemorating Christ's entrance into
Jerusalem.

On PALM SUNDAY EVENING, as well as on the evenings of Holy Monday,
Tuesday, and Wednesday, the faithful gather for the Nymphios or
Bridegroom Services that include readings, hymns, and commemorations that
anticipate the Passion of Christ.

On HOLY WEDNESDAY, the faithful participate in the Sacrament of Holy
Unction, and anointed with blessed oil, which cleanses, renews and
strengthens both spiritually and physically.

On HOLY THURSDAY MORNING, a Divine Liturgy is held and communion given in
commemoration of the institution of the Eucharist by Christ.

On Holy Thursday EVENING, the Service of Holy Passion takes place, during
which the Twelve Lessons of the Gospel are read. After the Fifth Gospel a
solemn litany begins. A large crucifix is carried in a procession led by
the clergy as the mournful hymn of Crucifixion is sung.

On GOOD FRIDAY AFTERNOON, the Vespers of the Descent from the Cross are
offered. The Body of Christ is taken down from the Cross, wrapped in
white linen and is prepared for burial.

On GOOD FRIDAY EVENING, the Lamentations are sung during the Epitaphios
Service, which symbolizes the burial of Christ.

On HOLY SATURDAY EVENING, the Easter Resurrection Service begins with
Matins at 11 p.m. At midnight, the Church is completely darkened and the
faithful wait in joyous expectation for the Bishop or priest to come
forth carrying a white candle, chanting, "Come, Receive the Light, the
Light of the Resurrection". The "light" is passed to the congregation
until the Church is aglow with candlelight. A procession of altar boys,
choir, chanters and clergy joined by the people move outdoors where the
Gospel proclaiming the Resurrection of Christ is read. The triumphant
hymn, "Christos Anesti, Christ is Risen" is joyfully sung by the
faithful. At the conclusion of the Resurrection Liturgy, red Easter eggs
are distributed to the congregation, which symbolize the Resurrection of
Jesus Christ.

On EASTER SUNDAY, the Vespers of AGAPE (Love) is celebrated during which
the Holy Gospel narrating the appearance of the Risen Lord to His
disciples is read in several languages emphasizing the universality of
the Gospel message.

The Orthodox date for Easter is based on a decree of the First Ecumenical
Council of the undivided Church at Nicaea, Asia Minor, held in 325 A.D.
According to this decree, the determination of the date of Easter is
governed by a computation based on the vernal equinox and the phase of
the moon. Therefore, Easter Sunday should fall on the Sunday, which
follows the first full moon after the vernal equinox, according to the
Julian Calendar, which was in use at that time. If the full moon happens
to fall on a Sunday, Easter is observed the following Sunday.