From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 248-Agreement reached between former president,

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:58:53 -0500

Agreement reached between former president, theological school

Apr. 22, 2005

NOTE: Photographs of the Rev. David Maldonado, the Rev. German Acevedo
and the Rev. Philip Wogaman are available in the Photo Gallery at
http://umns.umc.org.

A settlement has been reached between Iliff School of Theology and its
former Latino president, who claimed he was forced to resign last year
due to "culturally different" views.

The Rev. David Maldonado, the first Latino president of a United
Methodist seminary, said he was pleased and feels "the justice issues
have been resolved."

Maldonado became president in June 2000 and abruptly retired last May
26. He said the faculty resisted his leadership, and that some faculty
accused him of being too theologically conservative or moderate. They
told him he did "not fit" or was "culturally different," he said. In
addition, Maldonado said, he felt pressured to leave by faculty
leadership and some trustees.

An April 19 joint declaration issued by Maldonado and Iliff names
Maldonado as president emeritus and says the school will "honor his
legacy" by establishing the David and Charlotte Maldonado Scholarship
Fund. He will also serve as special adviser to the president in the year
ahead.

"Iliff looks forward to a day of reconciliation and celebration and to
years of future relationship in which Dr. Maldonado, as president
emeritus, will be enabled to offer counsel directed toward the
well-being of this venerable institution," the declaration states.

"I am very pleased we have been able to work out this agreement," said
the Rev. J. Philip Wogaman, Iliff's interim president. "I think this
will help Iliff School of Theology and President Emeritus Maldonado move
ahead from this point."

Iliff is one of 13 theological schools affiliated with the United
Methodist Church. The University Senate, an elected church body of
higher education professionals, determines which schools, colleges,
universities and seminaries meet the criteria for affiliation with the
denomination.

Maldonado and Interim Iliff President Philip Wogaman recently met with a
mediator in Nashville, Tenn., to resolve the justice issues outlined in
the findings of a special review committee of the University Senate and
the United Methodist Commission on Religion and Race.

The investigative team issued a public warning to the school last
November after finding "patterns of institutional governance and
perceived racial and cultural insensitivities."

The team issued the warning after determining that "institutional racism
was a major, significant factor" leading to Maldonado's departure.

"Today justice for Dr. Maldonado has been resolved," said Fidel "Butch"
Montoya, a former Denver director of public safety and a Maldonado
supporter. "Indeed his successful achievements are finally being
recognized. We applaud the settlement of this most important issue."

Montoya said "while we are pleased this one issue has been resolved, we
have made it clear to the president of the board of trustees to Interim
President Wogaman that there are still outstanding issues that must be
addressed as well."

MARCHA, an unofficial church caucus-its full name, translated from
Spanish, means Methodists Associated Representing the Cause of Hispanic
Americans-had called on Iliff to reinstate Maldonado as president and to
issue a public apology to him and the Hispanic/Latino community.

The caucus also advocated for the "well-being of other racial ethnic
minorities working or studying at Iliff, and for the quality of
theological education in the United Methodist Church." It cited findings
of intimidation against Maldonado's supporters.

"I am quite glad that the board of directors of Iliff finally realized
that doing justice was and is the best way, and the only way if an
individual or an institution wants to show a serious commitment to the
gospel of Jesus Christ," said the Rev. German Acevedo, a leader of
MARCHA. "I still want to find out how Iliff is going to address other
manifestations of institutional racism."

The Religion and Race review team will visit Iliff April 26-28.

*Gilbert is a United Methodist News Service news writer based in
Nashville, Tenn.

News media contact: Kathy L. Gilbert, (615) 742-5470 or
newsdesk@umcom.org.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org