From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 247-Foundation names Minnesota professor outstanding educator

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:06:44 -0500

Foundation names Minnesota professor outstanding educator

Apr. 22, 2005

NOTE: Head-and-shoulder photos are available at http://umns.umc.org.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS)-Duane Cady, a philosophy professor at United
Methodist-related Hamline University in St. Paul, Minn., has received
the Outstanding Educator of the Year Award from the United Methodist
Foundation for Higher Education.

The annual award honors teachers in United Methodist-related schools who
have made an extraordinary impact on their students, peers, academic
institution, church and community.

"I can't think of a better career fit for me than to spend my time with
young adults engaging in philosophy," said Cady, who receives $5,000 and
an artistic replica of the Cokesbury Bell.

"What's most exciting for me is the awakening of ideas in students and
in myself," he told United Methodist News Service. "Education is one of
very few things that really is what it's cracked up to be."

The award was announced during a March meeting of the foundation's board
of trustees. The Nashville-based foundation raises funds to foster
education in a Christian context in schools, colleges, universities and
seminaries in the United Methodist Church.

During the meeting, the foundation also announced awards to Lucile Esmon
Shivley of Little Rock, Ark., for her support of Hendrix College in
Conway, Ark.; the Rev. C. Wesley Astin Jr., chaplain and dean of
Religious Life at United Methodist-related Ferrum (Va.) College, as 2005
Chaplain of the Year; and Kim K. Capps for excellence in campus ministry
at the University of Maryland at College Park.

In other business, the board reaffirmed the foundation's vision "that it
be economically possible for any qualified United Methodist student to
be educated at a United Methodist-related institution of higher
education." The members voted unanimously to focus all of their
fund-raising efforts on scholarships to support that vision.

Hamline University President Larry Osnes, who nominated Cady for the
educator award, said Cady has advised the school's student peace and
justice group for many years, recruited campus speakers that call
attention to justice and ethics and spoken out on ethical issues
affecting the university community.

"Dr. Duane Cady represents the best in an educator-outstanding classroom
teaching, top-notch scholarship, commitment to making the world a better
place and a lifestyle that exemplifies his beliefs on and off campus,"
Osnes said.

Shivley, a member of Highland Valley United Methodist Church in Little
Rock, is the winner of the 2005 Stanley S. Kresge Award. The award
honors a United Methodist who is dedicated to the church and offers
unselfish support of United Methodist-related education.

"Mrs. Shivley has been the epitome of a faithful Hendrix supporter since
1954," said Hendrix College president J. Timothy Cloyd in making the
nomination. "She has supported her alma mater with not just her
financial gifts but also with her enthusiasm and joyful presence. She
has used her gifts to help build a culture of philanthropy at Hendrix."

Shivley described her and her husband's decision to support Hendrix
through a planned gift. "Now we can look around this lovely campus, and
our souls are soothed with beauty," she said. "We look at buildings and
know that, so long as brick and mortar stand, a part of us is still
here. And so long as we see young people coming and going through these
doors, we feel we are participating in eternity."

A $10,000 scholarship endowment will be established at Hendrix in
Shivley's name.

For his Chaplain of the Year Award, Astin receives an inscribed
sculpture and $5,000 to further develop programs sponsored by his
office. Astin has served Ferrum College for 18 years, most recently as
full-time chaplain.

Ferrum President Jennifer Braaten, in nominating Astin, cited a
contemporary Monday evening praise service initiated by the chaplain and
organized by Ferrum students. "Led by Wes, this praise and worship band
has moved beyond the campus, and its members conduct youth workshops and
youth retreats in our area and across the conference," Braaten said.

"As evidenced by his many and varied activities, Rev. Astin is not only
an active and effective chaplain and teacher at Ferrum College, but also
an important member of the Virginia Conference through his contributions
to the church outside of his college responsibilities."

As Campus Minister of the Year, Capps receives an inscribed sculpture
and $5,000 to develop her campus ministry at the University of Maryland.

"Guided by the words of Psalm 139, Kim uses her gifts of uncanny
perception for the word of God and the gifts and needs of the community
she serves to guide quests for vocational and spiritual discernment,
expression and community building," said Authuree Wright, chairperson of
the Baltimore-Washington Annual Conference Committee on Higher Education
and Campus Ministry.

Recent graduate Jennifer Harris added, "In our time at College Park, Kim
helped us to learn how to bring our relationship with God to the center
of our lives in such a way that it felt as if we were living our lives
on holy ground."

More information on the foundation is available by writing to
umhef@gbhem.org or P.O. Box 340005, Nashville, TN, 37203-0005; calling
(800) 811-8110; or visiting www.umhef.org online.

News media contact: Linda Green, (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.

United Methodist News Service