From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] Statement on end-of-life issues

From LCMS e-News <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:59:55 -0500

<http://www.lcms.org>
e-News
LCMS News

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE! This message comes
from a "Send Only" Mailbox that does not recognize replies.

April 22, 2005 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 27

Synod 'Life' committee issues statement
on end-of-life issues, suggests resources

headlines [that] have initiated a dialogue among many Americans
regarding end-of-life issues," the eight-member LCMS Sanctity of Human
Life Committee issued a statement today suggesting resources and
"principles to guide our thoughts on these complex issues."

For more information about these and other life-related issues,
contact Maggie Karner, a member of the committee and director of Life
Ministries with LCMS World Relief/Human Care, at (765) 289-0180 or (765)
748-7743; or e-mail mskarner@juno.com .

The committee's statement and listing of suggested resources
follow.

----------

Recent events in the national headlines have initiated a
dialogue among many Americans regarding end-of-life issues. Many LCMS
clergy and laity have found themselves in the midst of this emotional
debate, while sometimes struggling for clarity on these various issues
themselves.

As Christians, we need to recognize this unique opportunity to
become Christ's serving hands and to provide the needed spiritual,
emotional, and physical palliative care at the end of a person's earthly
life. We can consider it an honor to participate in someone else's
preparation for eternal life.

The LCMS Sanctity of Human Life Committee would like to suggest
some helpful resources, along with the following principles, to guide
our thoughts on these complex issues.

The idea of a "living will" has become almost synonymous with
"Advance Medical Directive" in the minds of many. An Advance Medical
Directive is any type of document that determines treatment if a person
loses their ability to make those decisions. A Living Will is a type of
Advance Directive, but Christians must be aware that not all living
wills are created equal and distinctions need to be made. We can
acknowledge the legitimacy of these Advanced Medical Directives but we
must also bear in mind the problems that can arise from their abuse.

Living wills can often deprive people of the important
conversations that should be happening at life's end between the
patient's family, medical professionals, and clergy. We cannot,
unequivocally, determine beforehand our plan of care and successfully
anticipate every circumstance, situation, and medical technology that
might arise. Instead, every circumstance needs to be closely examined
when it arises, tied closely to pastoral care and counseling, in order
to determine and evaluate God-pleasing action for withholding treatment.

With this in mind, the LCMS Sanctity of Human Life Committee
suggests that Christians consider making use of the Health Care Durable
Power of Attorney. This legal document allows someone to designate a
specific person to make health care decisions for him or her if they
become incapacitated. This "health care proxy" can, and should, be
someone who shares the patient's values and belief system.

While Christians can disagree on how ethics apply to individual
cases, we can never disagree on the basic principles relative to the
intrinsic value of each individual life. The Rev. Dr. Richard Eyer, in
his book "Holy People, Holy Lives: Law and Gospel in Bioethics," states
that there is certainly a time when it is appropriate to withdraw
treatment. " No one should be required to receive treatment that is
futile or burdensome," he says, "but the word 'futile' should be taken
at face value -- meaning 'treatment that offers little or no benefit.'"
However, treatment cannot be called futile if it sustains a God-given
life (even if it is not a life someone would choose) such as food and
water for a comatose or brain-disabled patient.

Asking, "Will this treatment benefit the life this patient has?"
is a worthy question to be posed in these difficult situations. Contrast
this to the question our society tempts us to ask: "Is this patient's
life a beneficial one; a life worth living?" Another way to phrase the
question is "Are we aiming toward life, or are we aiming toward death in
our healthcare decisions?"

As Christians continue to aim at upholding the value of human
life, we glorify God -- the designer of life. We give thanks that God
has underscored the value and uniqueness of our human life (which is not
diminished by age or infirmity) when He endured such pain and suffering
in His death to restore eternal life to mankind.

To be sure, this is a difficult and often confusing area of
human existence. People have made, and will continue to make, mistakes
in their decision-making. But Christ's death and resurrection offer
forgiveness and comfort for all our decisions and actions in the past,
present, and future. We can look to the cross and find relief and
forgiveness for our burdened consciences and forgiveness for all sin,
known and unknown.

To assist pastors and laity in their healthcare decisions, LCMS
Life Ministries recommends the following resources:

* Lutherans For Life, 1-888-364-LIFE (5433),

*>www.lutheransforlife.org

* <http://www.lutheransforlife.org> LCMS Life Ministries,
1-800-248-1930,

*>worldrelief.lcms.org

* <http://worldrelief.lcms.org> Christian Life Resources,
1-414-774-1331, www.christianliferesources.com
<http://www.christianliferesources.com> .

* "That They May Live," LCMS President's Commission on the
Sanctity of Life,
booklets available free from LCMS Life Ministries.

* "Holy People, Holy Lives: Law and Gospel in Bioethics," Rev.
Richard C. Eyer (Concordia Publishing House).

* "Bioethics: A Primer for Christians," 2nd ed., Rev. Dr.
Gilbert Meilaender
(William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2005).

* "Christian Care At Life's End," LCMS Commission on Theology
and Church Relations
(Concordia Publishing House).

* "Playing God: Redesigning Life," a Bible study by Rev. Dr.
Robert Weise (Concordia Publishing House).

***************************************

If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release,
contact Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org or (314) 996-1231,
or Paula Schlueter Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org or (314) 996-1230.

***************************************

This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided by:

Board for Communication Services, Division of News and
Information
Contact Editor
<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editorid
=6>

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this Newsletter and
many others, please visit LCMS e-News <http://www.lcms.org/enews> .
Share this Newsletter
<http://www.lcms.org/enews/forward.asp?m=2834> with a friend.

MessageId=2834 UserId=10073
_____

Design © Copyright 2002 - 2005 The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.
<http://www.lcms.org>
No reproduction without consent. All rights reserved.