From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[CRC NEWS] CORRECTION - Calvin Seniors Design Mill for Kenyan

From "Henry Hess" <hessh@crcna.ca>
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:22:46 -0400

Please note that in the original story the name of the pastor of
Hillcrest CRC was spelled incorrectly. His last name is Beute, not
Brute. The
version below has been corrected. Apologies for the error.

*******************

April 27, 2005, Grand Rapids, Mich. - Farmers in Kenya soon will benefit
from a new, hand-crankable mill designed by
a team of senior engineering students at Calvin College.

Team "Sow What?" spent this entire school year researching, planning,
designing and building a small mill that farmers in Kenya, and other
countries,
can use to increase their productivity in harvesting amaranth, a
broadleaf
plant that grows to between two and eight feet tall and has a very high
nutritional value.

The students - mechanical engineering students Brian Katerberg
(Kettering,
OH), Kristin De Groot (Tulare, CA), Dan Schrik (Brantford, ON) and Andy
Vander
Moren (Hanford, CA) - are working with volunteers from Hillcrest
Christian
Reformed Church and the Christian Reformed World Relief Committee
(CRWRC) on
the project.

The amaranth seed is becoming a versatile cash crop in eastern Africa
with the
seeds of the plant sold as a health food in the United States. In fact,
amaranth sells for three times as much as corn on the current market,
making it
a good source of income for underprivileged families.

The mills currently being used to thresh and winnow amaranth seed in
Kenya are
rundown and inefficient. The Calvin team designed a mill that is simple
and
efficient.

"We wanted to do something that was third-world oriented, something that
was
helping people rather than something that was fun for the moment without
purpose," says Katerberg, whose mission trips to Malaysia and Thailand
have
made him eager to use his engineering degree in third-world development.

The mill developed by the team is a small, hand-cranked model, which
utilizes
a fan to blow the chaff free of the amaranth seed. The team
intentionally
designed a small mill to make it easy to ship the machine through
customs.

Bob Beute, the director of ministries for Hillcrest CRC, likes the
student's
design for its simplicity and effectiveness.

"I think the prototype machine is absolutely beautiful," he says. "When
I see
the size - it's lightweight - when I see that it threshes and cleans,
it's just
astounding what those students have done."

Beute says that Hillcrest volunteers have been working on an amaranth
project
in Kenya for four years now and formerly bought used mills at antique
stores
and auctions before refurbishing them for use by amaranth growers. But
those
old models didn't winnow the amaranth seed.

The hand-powered nature of the mill is an appropriate touch as well says
Beute.

"Everything we do there has to be hand-powered" he says. "They have an
absolute abundance of labor there."

Team "Sow What?" already has tested the prototype mill with amaranth
grown by
Hillcrest members.

The next step is to begin producing the mill and shipping it to Kenya.
The
plan is to send it as a kit along with pictorial instructions being
tailored by
the student design team to Kenyan reading abilities.

Beute notes that the list of countries who want the mills is growing and
now
includes amaranth projects in Uganda, Mexico and Belize.

Calvin professor Steve VanderLeest says the "Sow What?" project is a
good
example of what Calvin looks for in its students' senior design efforts.

"It's a good project in a number of ways," he says. "We like seeing
students
work with real-world groups because they have to work within
constraints. Doing
that forces them to be creative in ways they normally wouldn't when they
design
on paper. It is certainly one of the ways we like to see our teams use
their
engineering and put it in practice with their faith."

Other projects for 2004-2005 include an automatic deterrent system to
help
protect gardens from animals that raid them, a machine to remove air
from a
pre-assembled shock and then fill it with light-weight shock oil (for
race car
applications) and the designing of a building addition for Dutton
Christian
School.

Calvin College, located in Grand Rapids, Mich. is one of the largest
Christian colleges in North America and is internationally recognized as
a center for faith-based liberal arts teaching and scholarship. It is
affiliated with the Christian Reformed Church in North America.

-30-

For more on the team see
http://engr.calvin.edu/SeniorDesign/SeniorDesign04-05/team11/
For more on all 12 senior design projects see
http://engr.calvin.edu/courses/engr339_340/2004-2005teams.htm

Henry Hess
Director of Communications
Christian Reformed Church