From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS] Statement of Commitment - Bishops of the Anglican Church of=20

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:11:19 -0700

Canada

ACNS 3971 | CANADA | 29 APRIL 2005

Statement of Commitment by the Bishops of the Anglican Church of Canada

The following statement was unanimously adopted by the Canadian House of
Bishops meeting in Windsor, Ont., on April 27.

Statement of Commitment by the Bishops of the Anglican Church of Canada
April 27, 2005

"If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all."
Romans 12:18

In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Bishops of the Anglican Church of
Canada, meeting collegially in Windsor, Ontario, April 25-27, 2005, send
warm greetings to the Church. We met together in an atmosphere of prayer,
which was hallmarked by charity and generosity of spirit.

In the midst of current tensions and disagreements within the Anglican
Communion, we endeavoured in our conversation to be guided by the counsel
of St Paul writing to the Romans, "if it is possible, so far as it depends
on you, live peaceably with all" (Rom12:18)

Having considered the Report of the Lambeth Commission on Communion
commonly known as the Windsor Report and the communiqué from the Primates
of the Anglican Communion issued in February 2005, we make the following
statement:

We affirm our continuing membership in the worldwide Anglican Communion.
Our Church regularly supports the work of the Communion and a number of
Canadians have served and continue to serve in significant roles through
the work of the Anglican Communion Office in London, England. In
partnership with other Provinces we remain committed to evangelism, a
compassionate response to the needs of suffering humanity, and to programs
in world relief, justice and peace for all. With humility we seek to honour
our commitments, knowing our need to listen and learn from the experiences
of our brothers and sisters in faith in other Provinces of the Communion.

We recognize that synodical decisions in some parts of the Canadian Church,
and the response to these, have caused distress in some parts of the
Communion. We are sorry for the pain that this has caused and we regret
that together we have not achieved a level of consultation deemed
sufficient to the magnitude of the issues under consideration.

In October 2004, we received with thanks the Windsor Report. Recognizing
its importance we commended it for study throughout the Church. We
requested our Primate to write a pastoral letter inviting response from
Anglicans across Canada. Many responded to this invitation. Their responses
were drawn together and formed the basis of the Canadian Response to the
Windsor Report.

In acknowledging the collective desires expressed in the Primates'
Communiqué we commit ourselves to respond as fully as possible to those of
their recommendations as lie within our respective contexts and jurisdictions.

We appreciate the commitments of the Primates to "neither encourage nor to
initiate cross boundary interventions" by Primates or other Bishops in
Provinces other than their own. This commitment is in keeping with the
Councils of the early Church, statements of successive Lambeth Conferences
and the Windsor Report. We have already adopted a procedure for Shared
Episcopal Ministry.

On the matter of a moratorium on the authorization of public rites for the
blessing of same sex unions, we commit ourselves neither to encourage nor
to initiate the use of such rites until General Synod has made a decision
on the matter.

In our consideration of the request of the Primates that the Anglican
Church of Canada voluntarily withdraw its members from the Anglican
Consultative Council meeting in Nottingham in June 2005, we see the value
of the opportunity for reflection and response called for in the Windsor
Report, but we also see risks inherent in honouring the request. We
recognize that within our constitutional polity it is the responsibility of
the Council of General Synod to consider and make a decision regarding this
request. We support our Primate's statement that he will do all in his
power to persuade the Council to honour it. We ask for the prayers of the
whole Church, for the Primate and the members of the Council as they meet
May 6-8 in Mississauga.

We are pleased to note the opportunity extended through the Primates'
Communiqué to send a delegation to the Anglican Consultative Council
meeting in June "to set out the thinking behind the recent actions of their
Provinces", including the diversity of views on the matter of the blessing
of same sex unions held by a number of constituencies within our Church,
including ourselves, and the manner by which we endeavour to remain in
dialogue and communion.

In keeping with resolutions of the General Synod and previous statements of
the House of Bishops, we affirm the place of gay and lesbian persons in our
church and give thanks for their contribution to its life and witness. We
agree with the words of paragraph 6 of the Primates' Communiqué which reads
"the victimization or diminishment of human beings whose affections happen
to be ordered towards people of the same sex is anathema to us". In our
struggle to consider the blessing of their unions, we recognize that their
various voices need to be heard more fully. We are grateful to note that in
paragraph 17 of the Primates' Communiqu that the Anglican Consultative
Council is asked "to take positive steps to initiate the listening and
study process called for by Lambeth 1998 and earlier Conferences"

In conclusion we wholeheartedly affirm our adherence to the Lambeth
Quadrilateral which states:
The Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, as 'containing all
things necessary to salvation,' and as being the rule and ultimate standard
of faith.
The Apostles' Creed, as the Baptismal Symbol; and the Nicene Creed, as the
sufficient statement of the Christian faith.
The two Sacraments ordained by Christ Himself - Baptism and the Supper of
the Lord - ministered with unfailing use of Christ's Words of Institution,
and of the Elements ordained by Him.
The Historic Episcopate, locally adapted in the methods of its
administration to the varying needs of the nations and peoples called of
God into the Unity of His Church.

We uphold the Archbishop of Canterbury, The Primates' Meeting, The Lambeth
Conference, and The Anglican Consultative Council. We further affirm the
Ten Principles of Partnership adopted by the Anglican Consultative Council
in 1993 and the Anglican Cycle of Prayer as sources of unity in the cause
of mission.

In the endeavour to live peaceably with all, we pray for humility, wisdom
and compassion.
Blessings in the name of Jesus Christ who calls us into communion for the
sake of his mission in the world.

House of Bishops of the Anglican Church of Canada