From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA, 15 Others Join In Social Security Principles Statement

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 2 May 2005 11:03:44 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 2, 2005

ELCA, 15 Others Join In Social Security Principles Statement
05-080-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
and 15 other religious organizations released a joint statement of
principles last week aimed at informing the U.S. Congress as it considers
how to preserve and strengthen the Social Security program.
"Our religious communities speak with one voice on the importance of
providing compassionate care for the elderly, widows, orphans and persons
with disabilities. We believe it is the birthright of each person to live
a life with dignity and with access to the basic necessities of life,"
said Kay A. Bengston, director of domestic policy for the Lutheran Office
for Governmental Affairs, the ELCA's federal public policy office,
Washington, D.C. "It is this deep moral concern for maintaining and
building a compassionate society that brings us together in this joint
statement."
"The Social Security system has been a tremendous success, providing
all participants with economic security when they need it most," she said.
"It has demonstrated the positive role that government can play in
advancing the common good. Future generations deserve nothing less. We
need to strengthen the present system so that it will serve future
generations."
The religious organizations' statement said that the current
discussion of the Social Security system is "timely and appropriate," and
warrants "careful reflection" concerning the basic principles on which the
present system was founded.
The religious organizations' joint statement says future changes to
the Social Security system should emphasize:
+ Compassion: the Federal government should continue its role to
promote "a compassionate society" through the Social Security system
+ Economic security: social insurance should remain a basic part of
society. Disability and survivor insurance should be maintained, and
security for the elderly, survivors and people with disabilities should be
maintained
+ Equity, fairness and progressivity: The present overall structure
should be "preserved and strengthened." Costs and benefits should be
distributed "progressively in proportion to each person's ability to pay
and level of need." Some segments of the population should not be
"systematically disadvantaged" due to gender, race or marital status.
+ Savings and pensions: "Social Security is intended to be the third
leg of a three-legged stool." The other legs are personal savings and
employer-provided pensions. "Congress should encourage personal savings
and employer pensions in addition to (not as a substitute for) the current
system."
+ Stewardship of the public trust: Congress has a "moral obligation"
to fulfill its trust responsibilities to those who have paid into the
Social Security system. Congress must assure that trust fund revenues and
expenditures "balance over time, and that future generations will not be
unfairly burdened by this generation's debt."
"We believe the strength of our country is measured best by the
compassion we show to one another in times of greatest need and
vulnerability," said Sammie Moshenberg, director of Washington operations,
National Council of Jewish Women.
"In the months ahead, we will continue to look at proposals to modify
the Social Security system through the framework of our moral values and
religious experience. We will engage with members of Congress and the
public to help find the best way to strengthen and preserve the Social
Security system so that future generations may continue to benefit, as we
do now," she said.
---
The full text of the statement, "To Preserve and Strengthen Social
Security: Religious Organization Statement of Principles" is at
http://www.elca.org/advocacy on the ELCA's Advocacy Web site.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news