From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Janet Philipp Named President of ELCA's Dana College

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 6 May 2005 16:24:58 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 6, 2005

Janet Philipp Named President of ELCA's Dana College
05-085-SC*/JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Dr. Janet S. Philipp was named president
of Dana College, Blair, Neb. by the college's Board of Regents on
May 5. Philipp, 57, currently serves as liberal arts dean and
campus executive officer at the University of Wisconsin-Rock
County, Janesville. She will assume the role of Dana's
president July 1.
Philipp succeeds Dr. Myrvin F. Christopherson, who announced
last fall he would retire this year after serving 19 years as the
school's president.
Dana College is one of 28 colleges and universities of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
"I am honored and excited to be named the president of Dana
College, especially as Dana looks to its 125th anniversary in a
few short years," Philipp said. "The call to serve Dana is an
extension of the work I've done in the church through my service
as a regent of Wartburg Theological Seminary and my husband's
work as a parish pastor and hospital chaplain. We look forward
to becoming acquainted with the people of Blair and the community
of Omaha -- both to share the story of Dana College and to look
for partnerships in this higher education endeavor."
"Dana College is currently riding a wave of positive
momentum," said Dennis Gethmann, Maple Plain, Minn., search
committee chair and Dana College regent. "Enrollment is
increasing, enthusiasm is high, and the Dana community is
energetically engaged in implementing Dana's vision of growth,
academic excellence, fiscal responsibility and spiritual
development."
"We are pleased that Dr. Philipp has agreed to serve as Dana
College's 17th president. By her unanimous election, the board
of regents is making a strong statement that Dr. Philipp has the
talent, experience and drive to maintain Dana College's momentum
and take the college successfully forward to its 125th
anniversary in 2009," he said.
Before her work at the University of Wisconsin-Rock County,
Philipp was vice president for academic affairs and dean of the
college at Morningside College, Sioux City, Iowa.
In 1978 she earned a bachelor of science in psychology and
in 1979 a bachelor of science in nursing, both from the
University of Dubuque (Iowa). In 1987 Philipp earned a master of
science in family and community health nursing from Creighton
University, Omaha, Neb. She earned a doctorate in higher
education administration in 1994 from the University of South
Dakota, Vermillion.
Philipp is married. Her husband Frank is an ELCA pastor.
They are parents of two adult children, Michael and Laura.
---
Information about Dana College is at http://www.dana.edu on
the Web.

* Sarah Cavanah is communications coordinator at Dana College,
Blair, Neb.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news