From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Civil Rights and Religious Leaders Align on 'nuclear option'

From "NCC News" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Mon, 09 May 2005 09:43:18 -0400

Civil Rights and Religious Leaders Align to Oppose Legislative 'Nuclear
Option'

May 6, 2005, New York -- A historic civil rights organization has joined the
National Council of Churches USA in warning that efforts to eliminate the
Senate filibuster may dismantle the system of checks and balances that once
made civil rights legislation possible, and could now alter the fabric of
American society.

Threats to change Senate rules so filibusters against judicial appointments
could be ended by a 51 percent vote represent "a small skirmish," said Wade
Henderson, executive director of the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights.

Henderson joined NCC General Secretary Bob Edgar in a forum in New York May 6
to respond to right-wing religious groups that want to end the filibuster.
The forum was moderated by Professor Sonia Jarvis, Visiting Ackerman
Professor of Equality and Justice in America at Baruch College, New York.

"This is a prelude to a bigger fight over Supreme Court appointments,"
Henderson said. "With a 51 percent majority, Attila the Hun could be
confirmed."

"Religion has been used as a justification for some of the best causes in
U.S. history, but also to justify a lot of evil, like slavery and
segregation," he said. "It is especially important that progressive voices in
the religious community be heard."

The Leadership Conference on Civil Rights (LCCR) was founded in 1950 by three
giants of the civil rights movement: A. Philip Randolph, founder of the
Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters; Roy Wilkins, Executive Secretary of the
NAACP; and Arnold Aronson, a leader of the National Jewish Community
Relations Advisory Council. It is the nation's premier civil rights
coalition, and has coordinated the national legislative campaign on behalf of
every major civil rights law since 1957.

Henderson pointed out that this legislation could not have passed without a
coalition of Democrats and moderate Republicans, such as former Congressman
John Buchanan of Alabama, who sat quietly in the audience.

"Now you can't have bipartisanship when one party is playing hard ball and
the other is playing an entirely different game," Henderson said.

Most people of faith in the U.S. are not right wing or left wing, Edgar said.
"The U.S. is made up of the religious middle, decent people who do what their
doctor tells them and what their president tells them," he said.

"In the late 1970s, there was a civil marriage between the far right and the
religious right," Edgar said. "We want to see our elected officials have
faith, but we have started to see the right cross the line. Where the line
was crossed for me was the telecast ("Justice Sunday," April 24) when the
right said that anyone who did not hold their point of view was un-American
and unfaithful. Those of us in the middle to left of the faith community
aren't going to take it anymore."

If the filibuster is weakened, it could lead to a right-wing dominance "that
can actually change the fabric of the society in which we live," Edgar said.

Jarvis acknowledged that the filibuster was used for so many years against
civil rights legislation. This shows you how upside down things have gotten.
But there are very few processes available to the minority party that enables
them to say, 'let's slow down that train.'"

Contact: NCC News, Philip E. Jenks, (212) 870-2252, pjenks@ncccusa.org