From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[GOAA] "Year of the Family" Resources Available Online

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 09 May 2005 14:49:01 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org
Email: communications@goarch.org

For Immediate Release
May 9, 2005

Contact: Rev. Fr. Constantine Sitaras
Center for Family Care
Tel. 845-424-8175
Email: familycare@goarch.org

"YEAR OF THE FAMILY" RESOURCES AVAILABLE
ONLINE AND FROM CENTER FOR FAMILY CARE

Garrison, NY ? The "Year of the Family" continues to be observed throughout
the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America through special programs and
resources offered through local parishes, the Metropolises, and the
Archdiocese. To assist with this focus on the needs of families, the
Center for Family Care at Saint Basil Academy continues to expand the
resources available through the Family website at www.familyaschurch.org.
The name of the web site follows the theme of the "Year of the Family" that
is taken from the biblical phrase used by the Apostle Paul, kat'oikon
ecclesia, "the church in the home" (Romans 16:5, Colossians 4:15).

The Family as Church web site offers resources for prayer, family worship,
parish family nights, and links to articles, Clergy-Laity workshops, and
other web sites on the Orthodox family. In addition to the web site, the
Center for Family Care offers a tabletop family prayer guide and a
full-color brochure that guides the family in establishing a place for
worship in the home. Following a second printing, these popular resources
are now available from the Center by calling 845-424-8175 or by email at
familycare@goarch.org. In the coming months additional resources will be
added to the web site, and plans are being made for more printed resources
to assist parishes in family ministry.

This national campaign was officially launched at the 37th Biennial
Clergy-Laity Congress held in New York City, July 25-30, 2004. In
announcing the "Year of the Family," Archbishop Demetrios, Primate of the
Greek Orthodox Church in America, stated, "Through this special emphasis on
the family, our goal is both to affirm the importance of the family as a
blessed gift of God and to address the specific needs of families as they
try to live in a very challenging culture and world. As Orthodox
Christians we know that each and every family needs to be connected to the
Church, a place where true relationships with God and one another are
nurtured and sustained. Thus, through this program we will be working to
bring more aspects of our faith into the home and to bring more families
into the Church."

For more information on the "Year of the Family" visit the web site at:
http://www.familyaschurch.org
or contact the Center for Family Care at 845-424-8175
or by email at familycare@goarch.org.