From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Newsline - Church of the Brethren news update

From COBNews@aol.com
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 15:41:39 EDT

Date: May 10, 2005
Contact: Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
V: 847/742-5100 F: 847/742-6103
E-MAIL: CoBNews@AOL.Com

CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN NEWSLINE
May 10, 2005

CONSULTATION HIGHLIGHTS WAYS CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN IS WOVEN TOGETHER

May 10, 2005 (Elgin, IL) -- The 2005 Cross-Cultural Consultation and
Celebration of the Church of the Brethren on April 21-24 drew as many as 250

African-American, Mexican, Dominican, Haitian, Indian, Puerto Rican, and
Anglo
Brethren participants over four days of events. Also in attendance were
Church of
the Brethren Annual Conference moderator Jim Hardenbrook and moderator-elect

Ron Beachley, and church agency staff including general secretary of the
General Board Stan Noffsinger, On Earth Peace co-executive Bob Gross, and
Bethany
Theological Seminary president Eugene Roop and academic dean Stephen Breck
Reid.

The gathering was by far the largest since annual cross-cultural
consultations began in 1999. A 1996 Urban Ministries Conference at Pleasant
Dale Church
of the Brethren in Decatur, Ind., preceded the 1999 consultation in Kansas
City.

Worship services, listening sessions, and times of fellowship were hosted by

the seminary, Richmond (Ind.) Church of the Brethren, and Eaton (Ohio)
Church of the Brethren. The seminary and area congregations provided food,
transportation, and hospitality.

The consultation theme from Colossians 3:12-17--"Woven Together with
Love"--was just "a sophisticated way of saying, we are having a dress
rehearsal for
heaven," said Dennis Webb, pastor of Naperville (Ill.) Church of the
Brethren, as he led participants in one of the many worship experiences.

Lively multicultural worship two or three times a day was a highlight of the

meeting. "What I have enjoyed is seeing brothers and sisters coming from
many states to worship together with very different races, and how many are
open
to more diversity so that all can praise God in different languages," said
Alex Sable, of the Maranatha Multicultural Fellowship in Lancaster, Pa.
Sermons were given by invited speakers, but worship leaders also facilitated
open
times of sharing in which participants were encouraged to bring "offerings"
of
music or testimonies. Prayers were said in Haitian Creole, Spanish, French,
and English. Spanish-English translation was available.

A Saturday evening worship service at Eaton featured the Inspirational Choir

of First Church of the Brethren and the Brethren in Christ in Harrisburg,
Pa., directed by Barton Smith. First Harrisburg's pastor, Belita D.
Mitchell,
preached. Many of the 300-plus worshipers, including visitors from
neighboring
congregations, received anointing for cross-cultural ministry in the name of

Jesus Christ. Sunday morning worship was at Richmond, where pastor Kelly
Burk invited consultation participants and the Inspirational Choir to help
lead
the service.

Preachers focused on being woven together as Christ's multicultural body.
"Woven together is knowing that I love my brother from Puerto Rico, Mexico,
Covina!" said Gilbert Romero, pastor of Bella Vista Church of the Brethren
in
Los Angeles. "I want to be woven to you. You're the only church I have."

Bethany dean Stephen Breck Reid examined how the ancient Israelites were
woven together in worship at the temple, and compared that to the
multicultural
experience. He urged participants to take the message of the weekend home
with them. "It's important that we go home...to reach folks we haven't
talked to
yet," he said.

Mitchell spoke about being "well dressed in Christ." Love adds "marvelous
beauty" to woven cloth, she said. "When we put on love as our outer garment
and
our shield, we put on Christ. With the love of God through Christ Jesus, we
can become a multicultural church."

A keynote address on the peace of Christ in an American cultural setting of

differences between people, values, and even scriptural interpretation, was
given by Fumitaka Matsuoka, a former dean of Bethany who is teaching at
Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, Calif. He called on Brethren to
learn a
"second language" of caring and compassion taught by scripture. "The Church
of
the Brethren started as a community that took seriously this second
language"
of nonconformity, he said. "Being in the world but not of the world--that's
second language." Matsuoka added a plea for Brethren to allow themselves to

become vulnerable and exposed to other cultures. "In order to speak the
second language, we have to live in more than one world," he said. "That's
what
the cross-cultural experience is all about."

The consultation also offered time for participants to share about painful
experiences of racism and prejudice in the church, as well as suggestions
about how to make the denomination multicultural. Several leaders called for

honesty about the "hard issues" facing those who gathered. Seminary faculty
and
members of two Annual Conference study committees--the Intercultural Study
Committee and the Study Committee on Doing Church Business--held listening
sessions during the consultation (see feature below).

Consultation participants seemed to have no doubt of God's will for the
Church of the Brethren--that it is to become multicultural. Some said the
very
survival of the denomination depends on it becoming multicultural. "This
great
denomination that has drawn this soul (referring to himself), will draw many

more," said Joseph Craddock, lay minister at Germantown (Pa.) Church of the
Brethren.

"It's wonderful, this event--getting better every year," said pastor Verel
Montauban, of Haitian First Church of the Brethren in Brooklyn, N.Y. "When
we
are here, there is no color, thank God we all are the same."

The event was planned by the Cross-Cultural Steering Committee, aided by the

General Board's Congregational Life Ministries. Committee members are
Barbara Date, Ruben Deoleo, Sonja Griffith, Robert Jackson, Belita Mitchell,
and
Gilbert Romero. For more information contact staff members Duane Grady at
dgrady_gb@brethren.org or 800-505-1596, or Carol Yeazell at
cyeazell_gb@brethren.org or 828-687-1155.

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to
continuing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out its
faith in
community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist faith
traditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It celebrates
its 300th
anniversary in 2008. It counts about 130,000 members across the United
States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Brazil, the
Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Nigeria.

# # #

For more information contact:

Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
Director of News Services
Church of the Brethren General Board
1451 Dundee Ave.
Elgin, IL 60120
847-742-5100 ext. 260
cbrumbaugh-cayford_gb@brethren.org

The Church of the Brethren Newsline is produced by Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford,

director of news services for the Church of the Brethren General Board.
Newsline stories may be reprinted provided that Newsline is cited as the
source.
To receive Newsline by e-mail, write cobnews@aol.com or call 800-323-8039
ext. 260.