From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Newsline - Church of the Brethren news update

From COBNews@aol.com
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 15:41:40 EDT

Date: May 10, 2005
Contact: Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
V: 847/742-5100 F: 847/742-6103
E-MAIL: CoBNews@AOL.Com

CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN NEWSLINE
May 10, 2005

TWO CONFERENCES, ONE GREAT FAITH WALK

May 10, 2005 (Elgin, IL) -- The following is taken from a reflection by
Elizabeth Waas Smith on two of the Church of the Brethren conferences held
in
April. As a young adult at Mission Alive 2005 held April 1-3, and the
Cross-Cultural Consultation and Celebration on April 21-24, Smith
experienced the two
gatherings as very different but complementary:

"What struck me was just how Brethren they both were. These two conferences,

very different from one another in participants' race, lifestyle, age,
chosen leadership, and even culture, were both representative of our
denomination.

"Mission Alive 2005 focused on the mission work of the Church of the
Brethren: how we can increase our mission work overseas, how we can maintain
it, and
how we can spread the word of God.... At the Cross-Cultural Consultation the

body had no majority; it was made up of all the minorities. As a young
person, I felt welcomed and valued for my opinions. There was a lot of talk
about
how to integrate our denomination. There was discussion about what barriers
exist between the different cultures represented in the Church of the
Brethren.

"For all the differences of these conferences, at the core they want the
same thing. They both want to expand the understanding love of Christ.
Mission
Alive 2005 focused on spreading that love throughout the world and bringing
it
to different cultures. The Cross-Cultural Consultation focused on spreading
that love among cultures in our own denomination. We are moving toward our
goal in different ways, but these two routes will make one great faith walk
when they come together."

Elizabeth Waas Smith is a Brethren Volunteer Service worker at the General
Board's BVS office in Elgin, Ill.

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to
continuing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out its
faith in
community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist faith
traditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It celebrates its
300th
anniversary in 2008. It counts about 130,000 members across the United
States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Brazil, the
Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Nigeria.

# # #

For more information contact:

Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
Director of News Services
Church of the Brethren General Board
1451 Dundee Ave.
Elgin, IL 60120
847-742-5100 ext. 260
cbrumbaugh-cayford_gb@brethren.org

The Church of the Brethren Newsline is produced by Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford,

director of news services for the Church of the Brethren General Board.
Newsline stories may be reprinted provided that Newsline is cited as the
source.
To receive Newsline by e-mail, write cobnews@aol.com or call 800-323-8039
ext. 260.