From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Book Describes The 'Lutheran Way Of Life'

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 16:37:04 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 11, 2005

New Book Describes The 'Lutheran Way Of Life'
05-090-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- What to bring to a church potluck,
learning how to survive for one hour in an un-air-conditioned
church and how to forgive someone are three topics among many
explored in "The Lutheran Handbook: A Field Guide to Church
Stuff, Everyday Stuff and the Bible" published by Augsburg
Fortress, the publishing ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA). Augsburg Fortress is based in
Minneapolis.
Part of the Augsburg Fortress "Here We Stand" confirmation
program, the 240-page handbook provides a combination of
historical and theological information alongside some "fun facts"
and practical tips on being a church-going Lutheran. The
handbook is organized into four primary sections: "Church
Stuff," "Everyday Stuff," "Bible Stuff" and "Luther's Small
Catechism."
The Lutheran Handbook was first published March 28 and
quickly sold out its first printing. The second printing of the
handbook became available May 11.
The cover of The Lutheran Handbook depicts a "winking"
Martin Luther, a 16th century German church reformer. "Lutheran"
was the name applied to Luther's teachings and his followers.
Here We Stand offers an approach to confirmation -- a
pastoral and educational ministry of the ELCA -- that is both
theologically sound and teen-relevant, according to an Augsburg
Fortress news release.
"We've developed this program in response to long-standing
demand among congregations for a substantial, innovative and
affordable confirmation program that is decidedly Lutheran," said
Beth A. Lewis, president and CEO, Augsburg Fortress.
"I think [the handbook] could be the biggest success story
for this publishing house since 'With One Voice,'" Lewis told
Augsburg Fortress' Board of Trustees at its April 22-23 in
Minneapolis.
The "icon of Luther winking at the reader combines the
serious, formal scholarship that was his life's work with the
humor and lightheartedness that characterized his personality,"
according to the inside cover of the handbook.
- - -
Information about the "Here We Stand" confirmation program
is available at http://www.herewestandconfirmation.org/ on the
Internet.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news