From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UCC NEWS] UCC General Synod to consider 'alternative paths' to

From guessb@ucc.org
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 09:41:37 -0400

United Church of Christ
United Church News
The Rev. J. Bennett Guess, news director
guessb@ucc.org, 216/736-2177

May 12, 2005

General Synod to consider endorsing 'alternative paths' to ordination

In July, the United Church of Christ's General Synod will be asked to
consider a measure that would affirm the possibility of alternative paths
for "forming and preparing" ordained ministers.

The long-anticipated, widely-vetted "pronouncement" ? a weighty statement
that calls the church to its highest levels of conversation, action and
implementation ? makes a case that regional training and mentoring can
be
effective models, in some settings, for educating persons for ordination.

Like most mainline Protestant churches, the 1.3-million-member UCC has
predominately adhered to a European model of educating its clergy: four
years of college, followed by three years of seminary.

"The heart of this issue," says the Rev. Richard Sparrow, "is that, as
we
live into our goal of becoming a multiracial, multicultural,
open-and-affirming, accessible-to-all church, the one-size, 4-plus-3
educational path does not adequately address the leadership needs of the
UCC in all of its settings."

Sparrow, who leads the denomination's parish life and leadership ministry
in Cleveland, says the pronouncement underscores the church's commitment to
maintaining a highly educated clergy, but allows room for the possibility
that there can be other effective ways to equip persons for ordained
leadership.

"What it calls for is a deeper discernment of preparedness for ministry on
behalf of our [Association-level] committees on ministry," Sparrow says.
"It calls for a renewal and study of the [candidate's] in-care process
as a
time of formation and discernment. Committees on ministry are being called
to a deeper understanding of their primary task, which is to concern
themselves with the gifts, training, skills and abilities of those
authorized for ministry."

Already, Sparrow points out, the UCC's Manual on Ministry outlines
ordination criteria that includes the phrase "or its equivalent." However,
he says, the church has had difficulty discerning, much less embracing, the
word "equivalent."

"The grassroots of the church has been asking for this for 15-plus years,"
says Sparrow, who considers himself to be an advocate of the process, not
the pronouncement itself.

The proposal does not call for a restructure of the church's three forms of
authorized ministry: ordained, licensed and commissioned. More so, it opens
up the possibility that licensed ministers ? those who serve as pastoral
leaders but often lack the formal "4-plus-3" education ? could be ordained.

"We understand that for some individuals and some congregations that
licensed ministry will continue to be sufficient," Sparrow says. "But for
others, ordination will not be automatically barred based on formal
education alone."

"We need leaders who understand and have a passion for the UCC," he says,
"and that's not only a matter of 'knowing' but of 'loving' the church."
The Rev. John H. Thomas, UCC general minister and president, underscores
the pronouncement's sweeping significance, saying, "While other resolutions
have sparked interest because of their controversial nature, nothing the
Synod does this summer will be more important than considering the ministry
issues pronouncement. Nothing less than the capacity to provide leadership
to many of our congregations in rural or transitional urban communities is
at stake."

In November 2004, the UCC's Council for Theological Education, which
includes the UCC's seminary presidents, among others, released a joint
letter stating: "We agree that the traditional, seven-year,
college/seminary path will and should continue to be the path for many
persons. Indeed, we think it will and should be that for most persons
seeking ordination."

However, the council recognized that other paths may be needed, even though
deep consideration will need to be given to the specifics of these
alternatives and their implementation.

"We also agree that other options must be developed to meet the needs of a
changing church," the statement continued. "We believe that, in order to be
truly effective, these options will need extensive further development,
review and monitoring. In particular, we believe that the equivalency
the
church seeks should not be located in the preparation process but in the
unique qualifications of the candidate for ordination."

Thomas agrees, saying, "Formal theological education in the seminaries
of
the church should, I believe, remain normative for the future of the UCC.
But the diverse cultural and demographic contexts of many of our
communities will require that exceptions be made."

Thomas says, if the pronouncement passes in July, then "the real work will
just begin."

"The national setting, the seminaries, the Conferences and our church and
ministry committees will need to begin developing the multiple paths to
ordination called for," Thomas says, "and we will need to begin working on
ways to help persons called to ministry discern not what will be the most
convenient path to ordination for them, but what will be the most
appropriate."

Thomas says the proposal will require money to support theological
education in multiple settings.

"Access to theological education, in our seminaries or in
yet-to-be-developed Conference-based programs is a justice issue for the
church," Thomas says. "The question must not be how can a candidate pay for
his or her education, but how can the church take both the financial and
the educational responsibility for equipping persons for ministry."

The proposed pronouncement is available online at
http://www.ucc.org/synod/resolutions/pronouncements25.htm

The UCC's General Synod XXV will be held July 1-5 at the Georgia World
Congress Center in downtown Atlanta.

###