From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Zambia: Adventist Church Centenary

From Christian B. Schäffler (APD Schweiz)
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 08:56:42 +0200

May 15, 2005

Adventist Press Service (APD)

Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief APD

Fax +41-61-261 61 18

APD@stanet.ch

http://www.stanet.ch/APD

CH-4003 Basel, Schweiz

Zambia: Adventist Church Centenary Draws Country's

President, Predecessor

Rusangu, Monze/Zambia. Returning to the mission station where

Seventh-day Adventist Church work first began in Zambia a century

ago, Zambian president Levy Mwanawasa joined church officials and

members in noting the 100th anniversary on May 6. The following day,

former President Kenneth Kaunda, who led the nation for 27 years,

visited the celebrations.

"I want ... to commend the Seventh-day Adventist Church and other

churches for the tireless efforts to fight evil in our society

through the preaching of the word of God, Mwanawasa told the

audience at the Rusangu Mission in Monze, near the Zambian

Adventist University, which grew out of the primary school

started by early missionaries.

The message of the Adventist Church first entered Zambia through

American missionary, W. H. Anderson, in 1905. Anderson and a few

helpers trekked from Southern Rhodesia (today known as Zimbabwe)

to establish the work at Rusangu in the Monze region of Zambia.

In Zambia, Adventist Church membership has since grown to almost

500,000 out of a national population of 10 million, or roughly

five percent of the country.

Mwanawasa, a Christian who has also attended satelite

evangelistic meetings held by the Voice of Prophecy, an Adventist

media ministry, in the nation's capital, Lusaka, said that while he

had wanted to attend the Adventist centenary, a scheduling conflict

almost prevented him, until it was "suddenly" resolved. Zambia's

ruling Movement for Multi-Party Democracy (MMD), had planned a

convention for the same day but the convention was cancelled.

He credited it to the power of prayer.

Mwanawasa commended the Seventh-day Adventist Church "for

living up to the mission and vision of our Lord ... set for the

church" and urged the church to continue on the same path. He also

commended the church for the innumerable contributions it has made

to "the spiritual and social development of our people and country."

He cited the education, health development and relief sectors in

which the church had made significant contributions in national

development.

The president then spoke about the Bible's transforming power:

"Biblical teaching transforms and shapes the hearts, minds and

characters of people and turns them not only into good disciples

of Christ Jesus but also into good and responsible citizens. If a

nation has the fortune to be led by God-fearing men and women of

high moral integrity, it will certainly prosper as public affairs

would be in safe and responsible hands."

Earlier, Cornelius Matandiko, president of the Adventist Church

in Zambia, thanked Mwanawasa "for providing an atmosphere in Zambia

which enables freedom of working and [the] freedom to knock on any

door for the purpose of witnessing for the Lord that we love.

Without the freedom of worship our church would never have grown

beyond Rusangu."

And Pardon Mwansa, president of the Adventist Church in the

Southern Africa-Indian Ocean region, thanked Mwanawasa for

travelling more 125 miles (200 km) by road from Lusaka in order

to officiate at the occasion.

The next day, Zambia's first president, Kenneth David Kaunda,

commended the early missionaries as "true servants of the people

who practiced to the letter one of the Lord's greatest

commandments: 'to love our neighbour as we love ourselves."

Kaunda said this when he officiated as guest of honour on Sabbath,

or Saturday, May 7, in services at Rusangu Mission in Monze,

during the church's centennial celebrations.

Referring to the early missionaries, Kaunda, the son of a

missionary himself, said: "They understood clearly that the

neighbour the Lord was referring to did not need to be of their

own race, nationality or even religion, but any human being

created in the Lord's image."

Kaunda, a leading luminary of anti-colonial freedom fighters,

said that the church in his time "identified with the oppressed

and stood side by side with us in our campaign for change." He

added that while preaching the word of God was the primary task

of the church, "we should remain mindful that its work is

multi-faceted. This may include advocacy campaigns for human,

social, economic and political rights of citizens."

He also said the church may find itself at loggerheads with

those in power, "but as servants of the people, you must

not relent in raising the concerns of the voiceless....

As Christians, we have a responsibility to continue advocating

for every human being to enjoy their God-given rights,

especially the weak and vulnerable in society." [Editor: George

Mwansa for ANN/APD]