From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Launches Initiative to Protect and Redeem God's Public Lands

From "NCC news" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 15:58:38 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Leslie Tune, (202) 544-2350

National Council of Churches Answers Call to Protect and Redeem God's Lands
by Launching Western Public Lands Initiative

Washington, DC May 18, 2005--The Eco-Justice Program of the National Council
of Churches USA has launched a new Western Public Lands Initiative to address
growing threats to our nation's public lands and associated resources.
Previously, the NCC has conducted ecumenical and interfaith programs
addressing a range of environmental issues including air and water pollution,
global warming, and energy conservation. Now the NCC will encourage its
member denominations and partner organizations to make responsible
stewardship and management of public lands an integral part of their efforts
to protect and care for God's creation.

Through worship, education, and advocacy, the NCC initiative aims to begin
answering the Biblical call to protect and redeem God's lands. For the next
year, the new initiative will focus on oil and gas development, which has
emerged as a major threat to the health and productivity of millions of the
acres of western lands managed by the federal government. If not conducted
responsibly, energy development can disturb or kill wildlife, degrade soil
quality, pollute water sources, scar landscapes, destroy cultural artifacts,
and disrupt other uses of the land, such as ranching and recreation.

"We try always to respond to God's call to be stewards of creation. In the
case of our public lands, we want to ensure that they are managed
responsibly, in a manner that protects these shared resources that sustain
our cultures and economies and God's glorious web of life," said Rev. Dr. Bob
Edgar, General Secretary of the NCC. "For people of faith, there's too much
at stake on our public lands and the threats are too great not to get
involved."

Coordinated by Christine Hoekenga--a native of Nevada who most recently
worked at the Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC) here--this 10-state
campaign will mobilize people of faith to try to end irresponsible actions
such as opening natural treasures and ecologically sensitive areas to
drilling, weakening permit processes for drilling projects, and making energy
development the top priority on public lands to the detriment of Western
communities and wildlife. Included in the 10 states are Ariz., Idaho, N.M.,
Colo., Nevada, Utah, Wyo., Mo., Wash. and Oregon.

###

For more information about the Western Public Lands Initiative, contact
Christine Hoekenga (choekenga@ncccusa.org; 202-544-2350) or visit the "Lands"
section of the NCC Eco-Justice website at www.nccecojustice.org.