From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] From France to San Francisco: Bishops boost interfaith bonds

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 09:09:49 -0400

Daybook, from Episcopal News Service

May 19, 2005 -- Thursday Thesis: Meeting People of Purpose

>From France to San Francisco: Bishops boost interfaith bonds

* Swing honors Roman Catholic archbishop on new appointment
* Iraq's Chaldean Patriarch visits Paris at Pentecost

Swing honors Roman Catholic archbishop on new appointment

[ENS, Source: Diocese of California] -- Bishop William E. Swing of
California has written the following reflection to honor Roman Catholic
Archbishop William J. Levada of San Francisco, who on Friday, May 13,
was
named prefect of the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the
Faith.

May 18, 2005

When Pope Benedict XVI named Archbishop William J. Levada to lead the
Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, there was much
rejoicing in San Francisco. Certainly among his Roman Catholic flock,
but
also among Jews, Muslims, Protestants, and a host of others. Archbishop
Levada has a generous and hospitable heart toward people of varying
faiths.
Therefore, so many of us feel as though a friend is headed toward Rome.

When he was chosen to be the co-chair, along with our Presiding Bishop,
of
ARCIC (Anglican-Roman Catholic Interfaith Consultation), the first thing
he
did was to come to Grace Cathedral and ask to see a Book of Common
Prayer.
>From there Archbishop Levada studied our Anglican ethos and even
attended
the 2003 General Convention in Minneapolis. He sat in on the debates of
both
Houses surrounding consents for the Bishop of New Hampshire.

When the Episcopal Charities of the Diocese of California had its annual
banquet in 1998, we chose to honor Archbishop Levada and the Catholic
Charities, which at the time was celebrating 90 years of service. His
concern for the poor and marginalized is well recognized in the Bay
Area.
The Episcopal Charities and the Catholic Charities have become
colleagues,
and now we complement rather than compete.

One of the upcoming occasions of farewell for the Archbishop will be
hosted
by interfaith leaders. Archbishop Levada reached out specifically to the
Jewish and Muslim communities. His ecumenical officer was a pioneer
board
member of the United Religions Initiative. And on many local and
national
social issues his leadership rallied religious leaders to take a stand.
Each
year he also hosts an ecumenical or an interfaith luncheon at St. Mary's
Cathedral, San Francisco.

Personally I cherish the Madonna and Child which he brought to our home
when
we dined with our dear friend Anthony, Greek Orthodox Metropolitan. On
that
evening we decided to go together to see the Pope, the Ecumenical
Patriarch,
and the Archbishop of Canterbury. We left in April 2003. A memorable and
deeply moving ecumenical pilgrimage. Pope John Paul II had one audience
for
us and one for our entourage. His All Holiness, Bartholomew, hosted us
for
two days in Istanbul. We were unable to get on the calendar of the
Archbishop of Canterbury, but the Bishop of London and the dean of
Canterbury Cathedral were marvelously welcoming. All of us came away
with a
far deeper appreciation of each other's tradition and genuine affection
for
each other.

By the way, the Archbishop and I were born in the same summer, both
named
William, graduated from schools in the same years, were ordained to the
priesthood on the same day, consecrated bishops around the same time,
and
served in San Francisco. Now when most bishops my age have retired, here
is
Levada starting anew in one of the most important religious positions in
the
world.

I truly admire him. His heart toward God. Outstanding scholar. Devotion
the Church. A rich capacity for friendship. Candor, strength, integrity,
and
grace. With the guidance of the Holy Spirit he will be faithful to Jesus
Christ and serve with courage and compassion.

[For interviews with Bishop Swing or further information, contact: Sean
McConnell 415.218.2431, seanm@diocal.org.]

- - - - -

Patriarch visits Paris at Pentecost

[ENS, Paris, Source: Convocation of American Churches in Europe] -- His
Beatitude, Emmanuel III Delly, Patriarch of Babylon and head of the
Chaldean
Church in Iraq, made a Pentecost visit to the Cathedral of the Holy
Trinity,
Paris, France, where the Solemn Evensong was sung in his honor. The
patriarch's visit to the Cathedral is part of his ongoing visit to
France,
where an estimated 16,000 Chaldeans make their home. Bishop Pierre
Whalon of
the Convocation of American Churches in Europe, who was among those
facilitating the Patriarch's visit to France, noted that the purpose of
the
trip was both religious and diplomatic. While visiting France, tne
patriarch
ordained three deacons at the Chaldean parish of St. Thomas the Apostle
in
Sarcelles, a suburb of Paris. On the afternoon of May 16, the patriarch
met
with President Jacques Chirac to share his perspective on the evolving
circumstances in his country since the fall of Saddam Hussein.

The dean of the Cathedral, the Very Rev. Zachary Fleetwood, officiated
at
the vesper service in the packed church. In his opening remarks,
Fleetwood
welcomed the patriarch and other invited guests, including leaders of
the
French Catholic, Orthodox, Coptic, Reformed, and Lutheran churches, and
representatives of the American Embassy and the French Ministry of
Foreign
Affairs.

In his homily given in English and French, Whalon began by conveying to
Emmanuel III the greetings and prayers of the Archbishop of Canterbury,
Dr.
Rowan Williams. He also read a letter of welcome from Presiding Bishop
Frank
Griswold. Whalon then thanked the patriarch for welcoming him to Baghdad
in
February 2003, just before the conflict began. Whalon had expressed at
the
time the opposition of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion
to a
war, and at the patriarch's invitation, led an ecumenical service for
peace.

Whalon commented that he was changed by his trip to Iraq. The
experience, he
said, made him more aware of the ancient churches of the Orient. He
expressed his hope that the American and French people (Whalon is a
citizen
of both countries) will become more and more aware of the churches in
Iraq.
"The more we know of Iraqi Christians," he said, "the better we will
remember you and our duty toward you and all Iraqi Christians."

Quoting Griswold, Whalon underlined to the patriarch the "deep pain"
felt by
Griswold and all Episcopalians for "your suffering in the aftermath of
our
nation's attack, which we did everything to try to prevent." He called
upon
"all people of good will" now to support the new democracy being born in
Iraq, saying that religious tolerance was necessary not only for the
survival of Iraqi Christians, but all Iraqis. "It is therefore
imperative
that we all support this new democracy," said Whalon. "It is our duty."
He
concluded by expressing to the patriarch his hope that they could meet
again
"on the banks of the Tigris, where there will be peace."

A formal reception followed for Emmanuel III, who in his remarks thanked
Whalon and Fleetwood for their warm welcome, and especially for the
sincere
expression of support and care for the Chaldeans and all Iraqi
Christians.
The patriarch said that their plight extends to all humanity, for we all
deeply desire to live in peace. He received a gift of a leather-bound
French-English Book of Common Prayer, one of four bilingual texts
published
by the Convocation of American Churches in Europe. The patriarch gave
his
benediction to the packed parish hall before departing.

This event is the second in a series on international affairs hosted at
the
American Cathedral. In June 2004, Whalon and Fleetwood welcomed key
representatives from the Middle East of the Muslim, Jewish and Christian
faiths for a conference on peacemaking.

For more information on Emmanuel III's visit to France:
http://www.mission-chaldeenne.org.

For more on the June 2004 conference:
http://www.childrenofabrahampeacemakers.org.

For more on Bishop Pierre Whalon's trip to Baghdad:
http://anglicansonline.org/archive/special/iraq/sheherazade.html and
also
http://anglicansonline.org/resources/essays/whalon/Back_to_Iraq.html

Contact: Laurence Moachon, office@tec-europe.org.