From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UCC NEWS] Arizona pastors rally in opposition to anti-gay measure

From guessb@ucc.org
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 14:30:23 -0400

United Church of Christ
United Church News
The Rev. J. Bennett Guess, News Editor
216/761-2177, guessb@ucc.org

Arizona pastors rally in opposition to proposed anti-gay amendment

By Will C. Smith
For United Church News

Over 100 people gathered at a UCC church in Tucson, Ariz., on May 17
to oppose a campaign launched the day before that aims to put a proposed
constitutional amendment before Arizona voters next year that would ban
same-sex marriage.
Spearheaded by the Rev. Briget Nicholson, pastor at First
Congregational UCC in Tucson, the gathering at Tucson's Rincon
Congregational UCC included 24 clergy representing at least half a dozen
different faith communities.
"We don't believe that this measure is reflective of our faith,"
Nicholson said.
The proposed amendment to the Arizona constitution, which would also
prohibit state and local governments from giving legal status to any
unmarried couple, is being sponsored by the Center for Arizona Policy
(CAP), a Christian-based family policy council whose goal is to "strengthen
Arizona families through policy and education." The proposal is also being
supported by the Arizona Catholic Conference, the public policy agency
for
the Roman Catholic Dioceses in Phoenix, Tucson and Gallup, N.M.
But Nicholson said one of the primary goals of the gathering was
show that groups like CAP are not necessarily representative of the
Christian faith and that there are faith communities who do not share their
outlook.
"Out of the 100 people who showed up, we didn't have a dry eye in the
house," Nicholson said. "So many of those in attendance said that they
had
never heard of a faith community say 'you are welcome here' despite all of
the work that we have been doing since 1974. They have heard a lot of other
things in the name of God that are condemning and exclusive. This is long
overdue, but we are not going to stop here. This is just a start."
Both First Congregational UCC and Rincon Congregational UCC are Open
and Affirming churches with significant gay and lesbian populations,
Nicholson said, something that makes the work of both churches to oppose
the proposed amendment all the more imperative.
"There are people in my community and in my congregation that stand
to lose their health insurance and their hospital visitation rights,"
Nicholson said. "Our faith is not one that takes rights away, I don't
believe. Our faith is about uniting people together through the Spirit."
The Rev. James Lumsden, senior pastor at the 600-member Rincon
Congregational UCC, said his church's history as the first congregation in
Arizona to declare itself Open and Affirming 10 years ago compelled it
"step up to the plate" and serve as host for the gathering.
"I think that for Rincon and for myself as a pastor, we understand
ourselves in this moment of history as having to provide an antidote to
religious hate mongering," Lumsden said. "We talk about ourselves as being
an alternative to that, but at this point we are way past just simply being
an alternative. We want to present to the public a very clear antidote
the hate that groups like CAP are building their careers around. These
careers are being built on the backs of the most vulnerable. We believe
that we have to stand with the voiceless."
Nicholson has been named chairperson of a committee that will
coordinate opposition within communities of faith to the proposed amendment
? one of 10 different committees that will work closely with Wingspan,
Tucson's gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community center, the
Arizona Coalition for Fairness and the Arizona Human Rights Fund, who are
organizing opposition statewide.
In order for the proposed amendment to qualify for the 2006 Arizona
general election ballot, supporters must gather close to 184,000 signatures
? a mark Nicholson fully expects them to reach.
"But we plan on winning come the election," Nicholson said.
Nicholson, 34, a 1999 graduate of St. Paul School of Theology in
Kansas City and in the first year of her first pastorate, said being
actively involved in issues like this one is central to her understanding
of her call to ministry.
"I can't look at my congregation and talk about the Sermon on the
Mount or the feeding of the 5,000 or what it means to love the neighbor or
embrace the stranger if I myself am not embodying that struggle," she said.
"I want to be in the struggle for all of God's people. For us, that is
working to oppose this initiative every single day."

###