From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Applauds Senate Compromise Avoiding 'Nuclear Option'

From "NCC news" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 02:20:12 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Leslie Tune, (202) 544-2350, ext. 11

NCC Applauds Senate Compromise Avoiding Extreme Actions on Judicial Nominees

Washington, D.C., May 24, 2005--The National Council of Churches USA
expresses gratitude to God and appreciation to the U.S. Senate for
eliminating the threat to our democracy posed by what has been called the
"nuclear option" that would have seriously undermined the democracy in which
we live and greatly damaged the fabric of our society.

We are encouraged that partisan politics took a backseat to the spirit of
cooperation and collaboration and we salute the courage and the will of the
14 Senators who accepted the challenge to craft an acceptable compromise. Now
it is time for the Senate, working in a similarly bipartisan manner, to move
forward focused on the major issues of the day such as access to health care,
quality education, strengthening Social Security, jobs and affordable
housing.

We look forward to working with you to advance the cause of peace and justice
for all.

###