From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Deflects Watt's Allegations

From "NCC News" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 16:43:00 -0400

Washington, May 26, 2005 -- In response to "The Religious Left's Lies," an
editorial by James Watt in the May 21 edition of The Washington Post in which
he accuses the National Council of Churches USA of using the environment for
political gain and trying to divide people of faith, the Rev. Dr. Bob Edgar,
NCC's General Secretary has issued a statement calling for Watt to be an
advocate for the environment in word and deed.

Watt was President Reagan's Secretary of the Interior from 1981 to 1983.

According to Edgar's statement, NCC's "God's Earth is Sacred: An Open Letter
to Church and Society in the United States," which Watt challenges in his
editorial, "calls on those who have preached against environmentally
sustainable living either in voice, practice, or apathy to begin a new path
-- one that glorifies God and protects God's creation. The path to which we
are called is not 'business as usual,'" said Edgar.

The statement goes on to say, "We believe that we are judged not by words
alone, but by our acts. We invite Mr. Watt to join us, not just with words
about the importance of caring for God's creation, but also in deeds as
well."

The statement has sent to the Post for publication. The full text of the
statement is below:

In his editorial in the May 21 edition of The Washington Post, Mr. James Watt
made several allegations that must be challenged. Whereas we are thrilled
that Mr. Watt agrees with us that caring for God's creation is not only
important but is a biblical mandate; we are grieved at his many assertions to
attack those who he assumes have a different political orientation than he
does.

The National Council of Churches USA addresses caring for God's creation
because of our call as stewards and guardians of justice, not for political
gain. We have been working on environmental issues -- air and water
pollution, climate change, sustainable living, and environmental health --
for more than two decades and without heed to partisan politics. Our letters
of concern and calls for action have gone out to Republicans and Democrats,
liberals and conservatives. Political terms like "liberal" and "conservative"
are not terms that represent the ministry that we believe God has called us
to do together.

NCC represents 36 member communions including historically African-American
churches, Baptists, Orthodox communions, Quaker bodies and other peace
churches as well as mainline Protestant and Anglican denominations. Many of
our member denominations as well as the 45 million congregants who attend
their churches each week would hardly describe themselves as "liberal." In
fact, the NCC does not take a stand on many of the so-called "liberal" issues
of our time, because they are matters on which our broad, diverse community
of faith groups do not hold a consensus.

Therefore, although we do not take positions on abortion, gay marriage, and
ordination of homosexuals, we find solid common ground upon which to act on
other critical issues including the health of our earthly home. We are in
agreement that millions of children -- all of whom are created in God's image
and many of whom live in low-income neighborhoods -- should not continue to
be subjected to asthma and other ailments because of air pollution from power
plant emissions. These are the theological beliefs upon which the 11 top
theologians who issued the "God's Earth is Sacred: An Open Letter to Church
and Society in the United States" are standing.

Our "God's Earth is Sacred" statement, which was first drafted in the fall of
2004, outlines our historic work to protect God's children and God's creation
but also notes our failures as humans to care for God's Earth. These top
theologians issued a call to our churches based on their knowledge and
experience as pastors, scholars, and community activists. Because their
experiences do not reflect those of Mr. Watt and his circle of friends does
not negate the fact that they had those experiences and that they should be
able to relay them in a manner they deem appropriate.

The harsh reality is that our environment has been severely and adversely
affected by over-consumption, misguided choices and a general lack of vision
of the consequences our actions will have on future generations. The truth is
that well-intentioned people of faith have, whether deliberately or not,
participated in practices that have harmed God's Earth and many of its
inhabitants. We must speak boldly and courageously to put an end to this
tragedy.

This is the challenge put forth to all Christians in this ecumenical
statement, which calls on the Church as a community to work towards the
common goal of providing a safe and healthy environment for our children and
all of God's Creation. Furthermore, the statement calls on those who have
preached against environmentally sustainable living either in voice,
practice, or apathy to begin a new path -- one that glorifies God and
protects God's creation. The path to which we are called is not "business as
usual."

We are saddened that rather than work with us to advocate for better
environmental stewardship among Christians, Mr. Watt instead decided to focus
on the part of the statement with which he disagrees.

The Prophets of the Bible always called God's people to honor God both in
word and deed. The Book of James says, "faith without works is dead" (2:26).
We believe that we are judged not by words alone, but by our acts. We invite
Mr. Watt to join us, not just with words about the importance of caring for
God's creation, but also in deeds as well.

Contact: NCC News. Leslie Tune, 202-544-2350, Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2252