From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS] Vicar of Nazareth appeals for help

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 09:29:38 -0700

ACNS 3984 | ENGLAND | 31 MAY 2005

Vicar of Nazareth appeals for help

Photographs for this article are available here:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/39/75/acns3984.cfm

An appeal for the churches in Britain to help bring an end to the inequality and discrimination suffered by Palestinian Christians in the Holy Land was made today by Father Samuel Barhoum, Anglican Vicar of
Nazareth.

Preaching at the National Pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham, Father Samuel requested the church's "solidarity and support so that we can continue with our work, so that we can encourage Christians to remain steadfast."

Thousands of pilgrims packed the streets of the Norfolk village, which was last year voted England's favourite spiritual place in a poll of BBC Radio 4 listeners. Many bishops and clergy joined the pilgrims from all over the country.

Father Barhoum said that matters of peace and justice were central to the everyday life of Palestinians in the Middle East.

A key problem was the issue of emigration. What used to be a Christian town now has only 35% of the population as Christians, and hordes of young people are leaving the Holy Land to find a better and safer life elsewhere.

"Peace and justice is a condition that cannot be reached unless a person has inner peace, peace with oneself, then peace with God and your fellow human beings. A person has to be convinced of and study peace and justice and then will be able to teach and work for peace an justice," he said in his sermon.

Father Philip North, Administrator of the Shrine, welcomed Father Barhoum and said that he wanted to create stronger and more direct links between Walsingham (known as England's Nazareth) and the Nazareth of Jesus in Upper Galilee.

Walsingham's web site can be found here www.walsingham.org.uk <http://www.walsingham.org.uk>